26. A Tale as Old as Time

^Pierce/ Dad^

I wasn't that hungry after that. My stomach tightened with nerves, but I was happy to feel her finally calm down and stop kicking me. I guessed she must be finally taking a nap while I poked at my food.

"What's wrong? Is there something on your mind?" Appa asked as we cleared the dishes together but I shook my head.

"Are you sure baby? You're very quiet. It's not like you," He suggests and places a gentle hand on my back. For a second I stopped running the soapy sponge over the plate. Feeling like I wanted to tell him everything and cry in his loving arms like I use to do when I was a child.

But I can't do that anymore, I'm an eighteen-year-old adult. I'm too old to cry into my Appa's shoulder.

My throat went dry as I held back the tears, trying not to face him as I handed him the dishes to put into the dishwasher.

"I just have a lot on my mind these days," My voice cracked and Appa gave me the look like he knows I'm lying. Thankfully he leaves it alone and continues to talk about how much he missed having Kai and me here, saying we need to visit more often. I promise him I will and that was a fact.

Thomas popped into the kitchen just as we finished to let us know they had set everything up for the video in the living room. Dad called Appa over and left, leaving just Thomas and I in the kitchen.

"Aw babe," Thomas whispered as I looked at him with wide eyes filled with fear. He quickly pulled me into a tight hug and I hid my head in his chest.

"It's going to be okay, I promise you." He says in a soft voice as he rubs my back and gently kisses the top of my head.

We moved to the living room where Milo and Kai had set up the two chairs facing each other while Thomas stood behind our tripod holding the camera.

"Do you guys know what you're going to be doing today?" I asked as Dad and Appa sat in the chairs.

"No, but ever since we played truth or shot and posted it on Youtube, I'm terrified whenever you guys pull out that camera," Dad groans and I pull the bright orange soundproof headphones out of my bag.

"Oh no, I'm scared," Appa comments and I make them play rock, paper, scissors as to who goes first since Kai and I can't choose. Dad ends up winning and we explain what's going to happen.

"So we're going to ask you guys three questions and you have to answer in front of your husband but they won't be able to hear a word you say or even know what you said until we finish editing the video," Kai says and Appa gets earbuds playing music put in his ears and the soundproof headphones slapped on.

"Oooh I get Kpop?...I'm so sick of this fake love, fake love, fake love..." Appa starts to hum and Dad tilts his head a little.

"Can you hear me? Hey you!" He yells but Appa bobs his head up and down, shaking his head.

"I can't hear anything you're saying right now!" Appa shouts back, forgetting the rest of us could hear perfectly fine.

"What's the reason behind this?" Dad asks and I hold the list of questions.

"Well, we're going to ask you the same three questions and see if you answer them the same way. It's about your love story nothing personal this time," I comment and Dad narrows his eyes.

"Your last sentence made no sense whatsoever. How is our love story not personal? We haven't even told you guys how it all went down but go ahead, ask away," Dad grunts, crossing his arms in some form of defiance and Appa does strange little mini dances while he's jamming out.

"List three words that describe Appa," I start with the easy one and my father stares at his oblivious husband with narrowed eyes. Appa narrows his eyes back and the two go into a silent staring contest.

"Mika is the definition of a perfect sweetheart. He's so beautiful on the inside that he shines on the outside and he's strong even though he thinks he isn't, he's the strongest man I know," Dad says while continuing to stare at Appa like he was saying something mean.

"If there was one thing you could change about him, what would it be?" Kai asked next and dad bit his bottom lip like I often do when I'm thinking really hard about something.

"If I could change something, I would take away all his insecurities when it comes to me, you guys, and himself because they just aren't true. He's an incredible husband, an amazing father who raised four beautiful children; two of which weren't even his but he took them on anyway, and he's the most genuine little spirit I've ever had the blessing of knowing. He's so fucking beautiful that sometimes it hurts just to look at him for too long because it's still hard to believe he's all mine," Dad says to Appa straight from the heart with the most serious expression on his face.

I had never heard my father describe Appa in such a manner and it was so beautiful that my cold heart warmed up to his description and the baby even kicked a little bit, waking up from her short nap.

I started to think of the story I would tell my little girl one day.

"How did you know Appa was the one?" I asked and dad sucked in a deep breath.

"I knew the moment I met him. When he was just a little barista with cotton candy hair and a sweet smile that captured my heart. I loved him the moment I first laid eyes on him, but I knew he was the one a few years later when I realized I couldn't live my life without him,"

Dad says in simple terms but I felt like he was leaving out a lot of intimate details that I hoped I could squeeze out of Appa.