41. A Whole New World

<1 month Later >

Estamos claros y ya
No te lo voy a negar
Estamos claros y ya

I sing along to the Spanish jams I had going as I take a wooden spoon and mix the ground beef on the stove with the taco seasoning. I heard a loud clattering come from the living room and turned my head to look over. 

The remote to the TV now laid on the floor and I rested the spoon on the edge of the pot, walking over to the living room and watching the television screen. 

"Famous teen pop band known as NTB announces their break as member Thomas Jackson, also known as rapper T. Jacks, recovers from a vehicular accident that almost ended his life leaving him a double amputee..." 

I slowly push the button on the side of the TV to turn it off with a long sigh. Houston perked up but stayed quiet as he watched us.

"You just have to ignore it babe," I tell him for what might be the millionth time but if there's one thing I've learned this past month, patience is definitely it.

Thomas avoided any eye contact with me, which had now become a new normal as he sat in his wheelchair. 

"Come on, why don't you help me with dinner instead?" I coax him out of the dark shell he had buried himself in and he slowly nodded his head.

 I walked back to the kitchen and turned down the music I was listening too as I placed a cutting board on the table in front of him and handed him a few tomatoes from the garden. He rolled up close enough to take the knife from me and start cutting. As he does, I give his shoulder a gentle squeeze and go back to stirring the meat. 

"I'm sorry," He says and I stop what I'm doing but continue to face the stove.

"You have nothing to apologize for," I tell him and I can hear him put down the knife.

The meat sizzles as I aimlessly push it around the pan, running my hand over my large belly which could no longer be hidden with a few layers. 

It was August now and the summer days were getting shorter, meaning Jaydean would be here soon.

"I'm trying Matty, I really am I swear," He says and I stop what I'm doing, yelping when the oil burns my arm causing me to jump back a bit. 

"I know Thomas...I know," I assure him, putting the spoon back down and letting the meat sit before turning around and leaning against the counter top. Thomas was running small circles over his temples with stress.

"What happened today?" I asked and he stared at the tomato like it was going to jump up and attack him.

"I fell...again," he admits and I bite the edge of my bottom lip.

Thomas goes to physical therapy every day to learn how to use his new legs after the accident, but that wasn't what sucked. What sucked was when he tried so hard to walk on his prosthetics, just so he could carry Jaydean, but falls after just a few steps and beats himself up like it's his fault. 

It's not his fault.

It's Wesley's.

"Thomas, stop beating yourself up over it. So what if you won't be able to carry Jaydean while walking for the first few weeks. You'll be able to carry her in the chair and if you ask me, I think that's better because she'll actually stay asleep if you just glide her to her crib," I try to joke around with a small smile but he was unaffected or unamused. 

I couldn't tell the difference these days. 

His gaze drifts to my phone which now laid face down on the table after being slammed in place.