Chapter 4

The story continued on.

"So there I stood with an empty bottle acting like I had taken the drug.
An announcer, a young man in his 20's with thin and dark hair read out the introduction aloud. His hair tie proved him presumably having a comfortable life in wealthy. The scroll he held in his hands was old and weary, folded and unfolded countless amounts of times previously. As he read out the announcement, I listened to it carefully whilst looking at the people around me.

"Dear competitors and family members, this years' competition is under the name of He YuGuo. As the new sect leader of the Dark Souls Sect, he opened the sect up to us about seeking out for skilled cultivators who would regard it as a big reward to enter the Dark Souls Sect. The competition will be going like always and the sects choose competitors they are interested in. If multiple sects do get interest into the same person, these sects are going to choose a representative who will fight against the other chosen representative. The competitors losing may make way for the winner, just like the natural law of the strongest ruling."

As the first competitors fighting against each other were announced I started to sweat and a thin layer of sweat was building up on my inner hand. The fear that I felt raging surpassed previous attacks tremendously. In just a few minutes the fight was over. My older brother naturally won. Xiao XiYuan was known as superb in cultivation - being close to the very respected Elders of the sect. You might also notice how my name doesn't seem to fit into the family pattern right?", he asked and smiled with a pained expression in his eyes.
"I myself wasn't overly joyous over it. That fact bothered me a lot to be honest. Leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. For the next fight I was announced.
"Chen Rugong against Chen Wangtuan. Please step onto the stage.", said the announcer clearly.
I took a few steps onto the stage. This large platform was placed in the middle of our big practicing meadow for high-level cultivators years ago.
My heart sank down. It felt as if my heartbeat fainted into the background. Making me try to catch my breath. I felt like fainting. My hands were trembling in fear. My enemy was one of these competitors who could break you with one blow. I however was forced to actually fight against him now. I myself knew this fight would end badly for me. Whilst it wouldn't pull me down much further it meant a bad reputation for everyone around me.

Like I did in practice, I got into my posture just like my opponent. His confident smile made me cry inside. He already knew he had won. The damned Chen family. Luckily I stilled belonged to my family even with my name.

The fight began with an exchange of fists getting hit onto each other. The next move of his made me fall, with my fast reaction I could avoid getting my meridians destroyed by the blow of his Eight-Echo-Fist. To achieve such a skill at this age was pretty much impossible. One had to be a monster in cultivation to mater such. I cursed on the inside. Whilst trying to dodge continuously, people around me became curious and began to murmur about my low cultivation. They whispered among the crowd about how bad I was rumored to be. I heard the usual stuff and cried internally.

"He is so weak. How can he even dare to represent his family here. Couldn't they send someone else?", a young couple whispered whilst looking around for possible listeners. "Don't forget that his father is one of the strongest elders and talented in medicine, fighting, playing the guzheng, pretty much everything. Now may I present to you the trash-like son. What a shame, I feel so embarrassed for him to have been given this child by the gods! What has he done to gain such disgrace.", they both shook their heads and sighed in unison. My father noticed them just as much as I did but we both turned a blind eye to it. Hearing this day in day out gave a numbing pain."