Chapter 21

Without further events, I carefully put my teachers hand onto his stomach and went out of the room to get myself a blanket and a pillow. As I stepped outside, I saw the rainy sky and looked at the stars. The sky wasn't filled with clouds and I could look at the moon in the far without hindering. A feeling of loneliness overcame me and I checked if my teacher was sleeping. With light steps, I crossed the Grand Hall, where I left a note saying I would be back in the morning for the wound medication on time.

I passed through the gate and closed it silently. In my head everything I had experienced in the last months was replayed again. From being taken in and offered to be a student to the times I cooked in the kitchen and when I was bugged by my teacher who was chasing after me in hopes of getting to eat faster. So many events that occured were a first in my life.

I never got paid attention to, I was the one who had all the flaws and was always the person taking all the blame without willing to. My sister was the angel, while I was a crippled, old hag. I did my house chores alone, cleaned the garden in autumn, the worst reason to highlight my treatment. I was a slave, a maid, someone of few value who was originally born with clean blood. In my opinion, my sister made me look back in many situations. When ancestors came over, when we celebrated with big groups, even when we ate dinner. Then I became a maid. The people in the village thought I had lost virginity before marriage and I let them believe this. To be honest it was common to lower the status of a girl if she slept with a guy before she was married. If the person was the one she was supposed to marry it was fine. This part I don't understand honestly. A wrong-doing was a wrong-doing and deserved punishment. No matter what status and what reputation, rules and laws existed for a reason to not break them.

Ok I admit, I could have told the people in the village what actually happened, but then I would have been put into a brothel, a place where many young girls would commit suicide early or get addicted to drugs. The drug addiction brought death with itself often. In general you could see people carrying dead bodies of the girls getting carried out through small doors into rivers. Then the procedures would occur to be the same every time it happened. The brothel owner explained she was drunk and enjoyed the night in company of a young man who would accidently push her into the river and excuse himself. In addition he would pay a large sum of money to make up for the death. The truth looked different. The girls corpse were disfigured and nobody knew who this dead person was. The brothel owner used the typical excuse and acted like nothing bad happened. In reality though, a new young girl from a poor family was kidnapped and put in the spot of the dead girl.