A Safe Place

Chapter 16

*Kellin's POV*

I can't believe what just happened. Why in the hell would she those things to poor Scarlett? I was in shock but I had to get Scarlett away from Carmon.

I was in the room Carmon and I shared, getting my things together. I felt like crap. I couldn't believe I lied, again. I finished packing my stuff and knocked on Scarlett's door again.

"Hey, you ready?" I asked.

"Yea, I guess." She replied. I could tell she had been crying. Her eyes were puffy, her nose was a light red, and a few tears were still streaming down her face. Fucking Carmon, I can't believe she told her that, I thought to myself.

We both went downstairs into the living room and beagn walking towards the door. We didn't say a thing to each other as we went outside and got into my car. I didn't want her to get scared with the whole Katelynne-and-Copeland situation. So I thought I would just take her some place where she felt okay; at least for now.

I took out my phone and started dialing Vic's number for two reasons. He was my best friend; and he and Mike had their own apartment. That, and I also left my belt at his house.

~ ring ring ding~
Vic: Yo, what's up?
Kellin: Hey, can I come over?
V: Again? You just left my house a couple hours ago.
K: And your point is?
V: *sigh* Okay sure, whatever.

I hung up the phone and looked at my rear-view mirror. Scarlett was staring out the window, clucthing her duffle bag like it was her life-saver. My mouth opened, but closed again. All these thoughts were running through my head. I couldn't seem to find the right words to comfort my daughter. A little voice in the back of my mind scolded at me. You keep calling her your daughter. But she's not! And she never will be, just accept that. I pushed it back. Scarlett was my daughter. Maybe not biologiaclly, but she was. Blood isn't the only thing that makes you family. I cared for Sacrlett, loved her, protected her, and I still do. She was as much as my daughter as Copeland was.

"Where are we going?" Scarlett's hoarsed voice broke me from my thoughts.

"Over to Vic's place. We're gonna stay there for a couple a days; if that's okay with you, sweetheart." I said

"Hey, you're the adult." She responded.

I left out a breath I hadn't realized I been holding. Thirty mintues later, we where outside of Vic's apartment. My finger went over to buzz the buzzer.

"Come on up." Vic's voice came on through the intercom. The doors clipped, and I pushed it opened. Scarlett and I walked through them. We started heading towards the eleavtors; Scarlett's finger quicly pressing the number 3 on the floor list. A smile crept onto my face. As a little girl, she always used to love to push the elevator buttons before anyone else. Two mintues later, my hand was knocking on my best frined's door. It opened to reveal a very tired looking Victor.

"Well, don't you look pretty." I remarked sarcastically.

"Shut up." He mumbled. His eyes shifted towards Scarlett and her duffle bag. Soon enough, his eyebrows shot up and he looked at me with a questioning look on his face. I just shrugred my shoulders. "Um, come on in?"

Scarlett pushed past me and Vic. She dropped her bag on the living room floor and headed towards the bathroom. The door kind of slamed as she went in, and we heard a locking sound.

"What's going on?" Asked a very confused Vic. I sighed. It had become common in me these past few days.

"It's gonna take a while to explain." I said.