Bajanless- Together

Mitch's P.O.V.

It was only a smile but my heart it went wild
I wasn't expecting that
Just a delicate kiss, anyone could've missed
I wasn't expecting that

Rob was laughing and smiling, one of his hands on my waist and the other on my shoulder. I leaned into him, our chest pushed right up against the others and I could feel his warm breath on the back of my neck.

I hummed under my breath to the song, smiling because of the way it reminded me of my relationship with Rob. I had been friends with him for years but when he had confessed his love for me when I was 21 I really hadn't been expecting it.

Although I had had a crush on him for longer than I could remember it took a little while, a few days actually, for me to accept his request and we became boyfriends. We stayed together from when I was 21 til now, at 27.

Did I misread the sign?
Your hand slipped into mine
I wasn't expecting that
You spent the night in my bed,
You woke up and you said
"Well, I wasn't expecting that"

He had proposed last year, the rest of the Pack and my family by my side and I had never taken the ring off my finger. It was beautiful, a lab grown pink sapphire and several other lab grown diamonds because he knew I didn't support diamond mining, and I loved it.

I thought love wasn't meant to last,
I thought you were just passing through
If I ever get the nerve to ask
What did I get right to deserve somebody like you?
I wasn't expecting that

We went through a lot. We went through arguments, fall outs, financial troubles, everything that you could think of, but the only thing it did was make us stronger as a couple.

There had been times that I questioned our relationship, whether I deserved someone as amazing as Rob, but he was always there for me when I needed someone to talk to. We supported each other no matter what, we were there when the other needed to rant or simply needed someone to talk to someone.

We worked together.

It was only a word, it was almost mis-heard
I wasn't expecting that
But it came without fear,
A month turned into a year
I wasn't expecting that

He kept his hand on my shoulder and we danced, swaying side to side gently and his finger gently tickling my neck. I smiled to myself as his hand caressed my cheek, his eyes meeting mine again as we moved our feet in time to the music.

"Love you Mitchy." He whispered.

"Love you too Robby." I whispered back, resting my head on my shoulder.

I thought love wasn't meant to last,
Honey, I thought you were just passing through
If I ever get the nerve to ask
What did I get right to deserve somebody like you?
I wasn't expecting that

I looked up over Rob's shoulder and glared at the white of the room, the hospital room that we were stood in. Everything smelt like antiseptic and clean and I hated it, having been in that room for days upon end for months and months.

We had been coming to and from the hospital ever since Rob had been diagnosed with lung cancer. A healthy, young man who had never once touched a cigarette in his entire life, was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that was too far gone to be treated.

After 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation and nothing had changed, in fact it got worse, and he couldn't get a transplant because of several complications, we were finally told that it was untreatable and would be fatal.

He stayed in hospital most of the time after the treatments stopped because he was sick all the time and in constant pain, so he stayed at the hospital for pain medication.

Isn't it strange how a life can be changed
In the flicker of the sweetest smile
We were married in spring
You know I wouldn't change a thing
Without that innocent kiss, what a life I'd have missed

We continued to sway as the song started to end, my eyes closing in happiness. I wanted the moment to last forever, I wanted Rob to stay with me for the rest of my life but I knew that wasn't possible because he would be taken from me too soon.

His hand squeezed my hip gently and I knew he was tiring, exhausted from even those few minutes of standing. I let him rest his head on my shoulder and slowly his hand relaxed, falling to his side. He yawned.

I was just about to suggest him going back to bed when his hand came up again, pushing my chin up with one finger and looking me right in the eyes. He was just that little bit taller than me so I had to looked up a bit to see him properly, and I flushed a deep red.

When he leaned in my entire face went red but as soon as our lips touched, I completely melted. We only broke the kiss when I was gasping for air and Rob smiled, giving me another quick peek on my lips.

If you'd not took a chance on a little romance
When I wasn't expecting that
Time doesn't take long, three kids up and gone
I wasn't expecting that
When the nurses they came, said it's come back again
I wasn't expecting that
Then you closed your eyes, you took my heart by surprise
I wasn't expecting that

As the song ended he stumbled, his legs weak and shaking. I caught him and held him up until he had the strength to walk back over to his bed.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." He mumbled. "Just sore and tired." I stroked his bald head, sitting down on the bed beside him.

"I know Robby, I know." He leaned into me, now showing how bad he was really feeling. He didn't like to tell me when he was sick because it made him feel weak. "It's gonna be okay, they're upping your medication tomorrow."

"Mm." He mumbled, closing his eyes.

I sighed to myself and held him as he fell asleep, holding him close in my arms.

I didn't like to think about the fact that he wouldn't be around much longer, another few months tops. He was dying, slowly and painfully, and although I tried to support him I knew I wouldn't be able to cope once he was gone.

"Love you Robby." I whispered to myself. "I really love you."