The Pack Ships- Life In Shadows Part 3

Preston's P.O.V.

Rob healed pretty quickly thanks to Vikk's help, he was up and walking the following day which was good because we had to keep on the run after he killed that guy. He was a little quiet and sober because of what had happened but otherwise not much had changed, he still stuck by my side the whole time.

I didn't know if he trusted the newcomers, especially Lachlan because of his power, but he was okay talking with them and sharing our belongings so I was happy with them being there.

I quickly found out what Vikk meant by Lachlan being a little unstable and traumatized. He barely spoke and when he did it was in a whisper, his voice shaking a little. He had to remove himself from the group fairly often, maybe every hour or so, because he lost control and had to give himself sometime to calm down.

He also had quite frequent nightmares, he woke up screaming when he tried to sleep. Rob pulled me aside one morning.

"I went into his thoughts, we can trust them both." I nodded.

"What did you see?" I was curious, wondering what exactly had happened to them. Rob went pale.

"Lachlan- let's just say he has a really good reason to be acting the way he is. He accidently killed several people who jumped him and Vikk and he's literally just realized the full extent of his power, how dangerous he is. He's scared of touching people in case he kills them." My mouth hung open.

Vikk was quite quiet too but he really seemed to know what he was doing, even if he never really expressed it. He was solid and stable and wise and really everything the group needed to keep going and no matter the situation he always had a steady head.

"Vikk's just really worried, he wants to try and get over the border to the East. It's the most dangerous if we're caught but it's the only place where none of us are known by the authorities."

"That... actually sounds okay. It's our last option really if we want to start anew." I knew that going across the border was our last option. We had been in literally every other country and gotten away, just, but we couldn't go back. It was our only option.

"You're agreeing to this? I thought you'd be the one to disagree." I shrugged.

"We're either going to live in the forest for the rest of our lives or try and start again over the border. It's a good idea."

He dragged me back over to Vikk and Lachlan, where Lachlan was actually half asleep on Vikk's shoulder. He had had a nightmare during the night and had barely gotten 2 hours of sleep, so he was completely and utterly exhausted.

"We wanna do it. We wanna get over the border." Vikk's face lit up.

"You wanna do it?" I nodded, watching as Lachlan lifted his head, rubbing his eyes and whining tiredly.

"Yeah. We wanna do it." I sat down beside them. "We'll be ready when you are."

----------------------------------------------

After a week long trek to the eastern border we made it, hiding in the forest near enough to the wall that we could see it and watch the patrols. The eastern state was very protected by high walls and guard patrols, they didn't want people getting in and they certainly didn't want people getting in, specifically elementals.

We were struggling with food because most animals had fled the area, but we found some wild potatoes to cook, and that got us through the night. I did hear Rob's stomach grumbling though and everyone fell into an uneasy sleep, curled up together.

The night was cold and I woke up several times, Rob did too. The others seemed to sleep okay, they were curled up so tightly around each other that in the dark I couldn't tell who was who and they were both sleeping soundly. Rob smiled.