Chapter 27

You stood still under the tree in hopes the troll would not hear you loiter. Morning wouldn't be for another few hours. How could you escape the grasps of the adversaries? You were stuck. You felt hopeless, scared, and appalled.

The orcs had not left the battle ground and were still lurking around trying to sniff you out. There were fewer now wandering the forest since many had been crushed moments ago. The forest was quiet, unkempt with branches laying around, smoke rising. It felt unnatural, unsafe to be there. The forest just felt dark, vile, and corrupted.

You look down at your heels, barely to able to see them in the ebony night, but you knew one thing, they were throbbing. The pain was pungent and was the only thing on your mind, besides making it out alive, that is.

Your throat was burning. The fog was pernicious, and the toxic fumes erupted around your noise. Your throat was dry, and you couldn't help but cough.

Trying your best to stay quiet, you cover your nose with your tunic, hoping the bitter air would not smother you any longer.

You gulp down the only saliva you had left in your mouth, not even taking the chances to move. The sun had set a while ago and the darkness had settled in the forest. Water was the only thing you could think about at this point, besides the aching pain in your legs and the toxins consuming your nose.

A loud shrill in the night echoed through the trees and you knew the troll was close. Hiding under the tree roots, you curled yourself into a ball trying your best to be as small as possible. You knew they'd find you sooner or later, but your aspirations were the only things that could tell you otherwise.

A twig snapped nearby you. You tremble in place, keeping as still as possible. The orcs were lurking around trying their best to sniff you out. You closed your eyes, seeing your surroundings wasn't helpful when it was pitch black already. Your eyes soon grew heavy. You could tell it was past midnight.

Another twig snapped nearby and you heard a sly voice speak out. "Fresh scent over here." The voice was hoarse and dingy. The drab orcs were just above you, though you could tell. You breathed in heavily under your tunic, hoping they would not come any closer. Your heart was pounding.

You didn't move a muscle, though you could hear the orcs that approached you to be so close, it was as if they were right next to you.

You open your eyes, your surroundings in darkness. The inky scenery was interrupted by belligerent eyes that seemed to stare right through you. They glowed in the sable night and your breathing picks up immediately. It almost felt like your heart would burst out of its thoracic cavity any minute now, seeking its release. The Orc steps closer, holding a serrated blade that could tear through anything, as his yellow eyes pierce your shaking body. The orc licks his lips with a darkening grin.

You pull out a switchblade, and quickly roll over as the pain in your heels worsen. The orc closes in on you as you lie on your back in pain. Your actions were a mistake, but what else were you suppose to do?

The orc takes its blade, holding it ready to strike your heart. You hold your switchblade in your shaky right hand as it barrels towards you.

Another orc jumps from the hill above your hiding spot and you quickly move out of the way. The blade sticks right into the ground and the orcs growl like animals. Their eyes are pure black, except for the glowing yellow that stuck out in the dark night. It was the only reason you were still alive.

You take your other switchblade out and get to your feet, positioning them in a way to back them off. The orcs stay back ferociously, desperately wanting to kill you, but you don't lose focus on them until you hear it. Someone loudly plods up from behind you.