Chapter 41

"Why are you all of a sudden concerned about some Dwarves?"

You let out a sigh as Legolas trails behind you.

The trees swayed in the wind, and the sun was now fully shining. The war wasn't going to wait, and time was running out.

"Some Dwarves?" You turn with a small glare, and Legolas lessens his apathetic tone. "They have names."

You pause, searching the trees, any place where Thorvol would go. "Thanks.. family." You choke and can feel Legolas change his expression, your words had hurt.

"How could you ever consider the dwarves fa-?"

You frown agitated, cutting him off as you turn to face him. "They were the only family I had." You face away from him again before continuing. "And.. and it's the only way we can convince Rathna that something is wrong."

"Well what if they're spies? You said it yourself, she doesn't care what you have to say."

You glare in frustration and whirl around to face him. "Well do you have any better ideas?!"

You let out a sigh and a long pause intervenes. Legolas stands emotionless.

"Yeah. We track down some Orcs and prove there are orcs coming, and in the meantime we track down the dwarves and find out they really are spying on us." He pauses, looking at the sky and he studies it as if he is measuring something.

"Those Dwarves may be in danger as we speak since the Orcs are on the march." You scoff, you see him turn his attention back on you.

"We're wasting time as we speak." He declares and you wince by how suddenly Legolas had changed.

"Right." You get out.

"Then let's get moving."

You refused to believe that the Dwarves we're spying.

Turning with Legolas, you watch as he jumps from tree to tree in graceful footsteps. You follow close behind, relying mostly on your hands for balance.

Then Legolas stops. You almost run into him as he holds his ground on the sturdy branch you both were now standing on. You cling to a higher branch and watch as Legolas squats down.

"Footprints." He says without context.

"Are they from a dwarf?" You ask.

"Yes, from what I can tell." He says turning to face you and flinches once he realizes how close you are.

You blush sheepishly putting a hand to the back of your neck which makes you lose your balance.

"Careful!" Legolas says instantly as he catches you and hops to the ground with you in his arms. You could feel your cheeks turn red, not just because you were embarrassed, but because he was now holding you.

"Sorry." You say rubbing your head you bumped on the tree branch that was above the other branch you were standing on.

"It--it's alright." He replies quietly, you can feel his warm breath against your skin and it sends shivers down your spine.

"(Y/N).." Legolas trails once he sets you down. You tuck a loose hair behind your ear out of habit. "I haven't been completely honest with you.."

You look at him confused. What was he trying to say?

"Wh-- what do you mean?" You manage to get out. Your cheeks were still burning and you turn away at an angle where you are still sort of facing him, and compose yourself.

"I.." He stops, swallowing hard before continuing. You watch him, now fully facing him again once more. "I was the one that brought Elrond and Thranduil to Ered Mithrin."