Chapter 42

Rathna getting mad at you, Legolas now confessing things, Gandalf and his wisdom but far off somewhere else, Thorvol missing, and Dimur mysteriously gone, disappeared and nowhere to be found.

Not to mention a war between races; Elves and Dwarves alike, except their differences got the better of them.
How were you supposed to stop it? What if it already began? And here you were caught up in trying to find your friends.

Now that you think about it, that does sound kind of selfish. You, an elf trying to find some Dwarves while a war was going on. While people were dying. You, not joining either side, rather worrying about something else.  Except you weren't sure if that were true.. if the war was truly going on, and for some reason Legolas had stuck by your side through the thick of it all.

Why had he? He hated Dwarves, and he was going against his father Thrandiul, wasn't he?

Thrandiul was the one pushing for war and yet his son was trying to stop it. And it all became realization on how real everything was getting.

If Legolas were able to give up his honor to his father, shouldn't you be able to pull yourself together?

Looking at the struggle on the tree, you notice Legolas's attention dissipate and turn to the cloth, a new interest formed.

"There." You hear Legolas whisper.

Just across the bend, you could see it. Smoke lightly touching the sky. You couldn't believe that Legolas had spotted something so hard to see. Rocks had covered the area and the fading smoke rose up passed the trees.

You take a step forward and feel Legolas next to you rush towards the smoke.

"Wait!" You call silently, and Legolas barely stops himself before he reaches the rocks.

"Let's just see what we're getting ourselves into first." You reply, and can see Legolas annoyed.

You knew he knew you were right, and so with a step forward--

A twig snapped from behind you.

Whirling around, you and Legolas now face the oncoming danger, but there was nothing there.

"What was that?" You whisper to Legolas.

Legolas turns his eyes towards the trees and a long pause intervenes. "There's someone here. The trees sense a new presence. It's Dwarf."

Dwarf?

Of all things, a dwarf was here? You let out a sigh of relief and catch Legolas furrow his browns. "We're not safe yet."

You blink at him in silence and confusion. Did he really pick that up from your body language? Dwarves
were always people you could trust.

You wanted to take that back almost immediately when you remember your life being a lie and all the times you were tricked or left.

"Fine." You finally say, and pull out your switch blades.

You cling onto the tree and pull yourself up so you were now able to see over the large boulders blocking your path.

"What do you see?" You hear Legolas say from below. You swallow the lump in your throat hard.

If you wanted to be honest, you weren't sure what you were seeing. Were your eyes playing tricks?

You blink a few times, holding your breath, scared by what you were seeing.

"(Y/N)." Legolas says firmly.

"I-I see."

How could you tell him? You weren't sure what Legolas would do.. would he let him go? Or would he attack him?