1. A new start.

I hoisted my Kipling knapsack onto my back after taking my passport from the side pocket, the signature monkey keychain swaying with my movements as I fixed the straps and handed the stern, bored looking woman my ticket allowing her to check it before allowing me to go through customs. I took one last look behind me at my mom who had tears in her eyes and a frantic looking baby boy on her hips that was trying to escape her hold to run towards me. I looked behind her at the airport of my home country hardening my heart, this wasn't my home and I was hellbent on finding peace even if that meant leaving my family and friends all behind.

I took my ticket back from the woman and walked forward placing it back in between my passport. I rested my bag down on the table and did as I was instructed to removing all electronic devices and taking my phone from my pocket. I stared at my professional Sony camera as I took off my brown oxfords resting them on the conveyer belt and watched my items got scanned. I stuck my feet back into my shoes and bent down to lace them up before rising and packing my camera back into my bag and stuffing my phone into my pocket. I once again hoisted the black bag onto my shoulders walking off going further into the airport.

"I like your tunnels. You can either take the escalator or the elevator." The dark skin security guard pointed beside him.

"Thank you." I smiled and walked off.

I had recently gotten new tunnels for my ears and even though they were simple stainless steel, people still marveled at the fact that there was a bigger than normal hole in my earlobe. I wanted to go wider than just a 00 gauge but my friends didn't like the idea and my girlfriend was absolutely against it so I stayed at the current size. I took the escalator up to the next floor where the waiting area and food court was. I walked over to the cafe and ordered iced coffee with almond milk then went to sit down in front of the large windows facing the runway. I sipped on my iced coffee thinking about my haste decision when my phone rang. I dug it from my pocket to see an incoming video call from the love of my life, I quickly plugged in my earphones then answered the call.

"Hey babe." I smiled at her big forehead in the camera.

"Oh, hey baby." She quickly looked up so that I could now see her entire face, she was extremely beautiful.

"How are you?" I asked.

"Better question is, how are you? I know how you feel about airplanes." She chuckled.

"I have iced coffee." I lifted my drink to the camera.

"Do you have your Gravol and anxiety pills?" She asked.

"In my bag. I'll take them once I get on the plane."

"Okay baby."

"How's school?"

"Dawg..." She hissed her teeth.

She started telling me about school. We've been together for three years and the most we spent together was summer and Christmas holidays because she had to leave again for school. I knew I should stay here and wait on her to come back home but I didn't want to be here anymore and I hoped she could understand the distance that I was putting between us even though I would much prefer to have her right here with me. She rolled her eyes as she hissed her teeth and I laughed, I watched her face expression move from amused to annoyed every five seconds and her eyes glistened as she expressed her frustration.

"I miss you." She sighed.

"I miss you too babe and I can't wait for us to be reunited again, no matter how long it takes."

"Promise me that you'll wait for me."

"I promise."

"And I promise that I'll wait for you." She kissed at the camera.