Chapter 3

"...Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now..."
~ Hayley Williams (B.o.B)

......

"Are you fucking stupid?" Brody yells at me as I grab another chip from the bag Alice is holding.

"No, I only have seven more days," I stuff the chip into my mouth and repeat myself again.

"No, you have your whole fucking life. I can't let you just give up. You've worked so hard to stay away from your old life."

"My old life is my original life. Yes, I hated it and anything else to do with gangs, but I can't risk them finding out my real identity. I need your help Brody."

"No, this is a suicide mission."

"If you don't help me, then Kai is gonna find out everything about me - about the real Summer White. If he finds out, then so will everyone else. Brody, I'm begging you. Please help me," his tall frame stands there contemplating his choices. He will help me no matter what. He always does. He's helped me before and I know he'll do it again.

"Okay, I'll do it," he states as if the words are forcefully being drawn out of his mouth.

"What?" Alice gasps. "Come on Brody! I thought you would talk some sense into her."

"Alice," my voice underlying with warning.

"How can you be so fucking calm?" Alice yells, frustrated. "You're giving yourself up for who?Huh? Me? I don't want it. I want you to live."

"Shut up, Alice. I'm doing this for my family. You are my family and we both know I can handle Kai."

"You don't know anything about him except that he practically runs all of Chicago."

"That's why we're in the middle of nowhere and we had to drive over the limit to lose the men on our trail," I mention. School was not what I would call normal. After everything happened, all the students in the school practically run away from us.

And ironically, Kai was in every one of my classes.

What if he already knows who I am? No, he can't.

"Summer?" Brody looks at me with worry in his brown eyes.

"My background story. It should have something to do with gangs because I wasn't scared of him like a normal high school girl would be."

"Okay," Brody takes down a mental note.

"I also need two burner cells so we can all communicate. Other than that, Alice and I will live normally. Speaking about normal, if I was anywhere close to that, I would go to the library and search up anything I can about him," I add.

"What are you gonna tell mom and dad?" Alice asks. The sadness in her voice doesn't go past me, but I ignore it for her sake.

"That I applied to live on my own," I reply holding back any sign of sorrow from my voice. The last year and a half was the best time of my life. I was actually normal and being pulled away like this, is devastating.

"Brody, dig up everything you can about Kai and his gang. History back to as old as his ancestors are," he bobs his head in response.

"Both of you take care of yourselves. I'll mail you your phones by tonight," he informs.

"Okay," Alice and I get into her car. I called a tow truck after school and sent my car to the mechanics. Alice called mom and got one of her employees to drop off Alice's car at school for us.