Chapter 24

"...And I tried to hold these secrets inside me
My mind's like a deadly disease..."
~ Halsey

"~ Halsey

......

Darkness is inevitable. In everyone's life, no matter what religion, profession or gender you are, there comes a time where you give into the darkness. Reason's aren't needed when you're over the edge – as some like to describe the dark side. But even then, there's certain levels of darkness people are devoured in.

I try to open my eyes, but my lashes are stuck on the cotton cloth tightly tied over them. My first instinct is to pull the rag off, but the sandy ropes securing my wrists to the arms of the chair, that's not even an option. The next thing that comes to mind are my legs, but they've been tied to the legs of the chair keeping me in one place.

My physical tactics are useless at this point, so I try to remember.

My birthday is today, or maybe it was a few days ago depending on how long I've been kidnapped for. All my friends and family were waiting for me. Calling and texting me to come to the party already. I was the birthday girl, yet the only person not at the party, because I was stuck waiting for Vincent, my oldest brother.

He always does that – takes every opportunity he gets to snatch happy moments away from my life. I can't believe dad left him in charge of me on such a meaningful day. He knows how much I despise Vince.

After an hour of waiting, Vince was finally free to drive me to the venue. I'm an impatient person, especially on my birthday because this was the one day I wasn't expected to do anything. I could skip training, eat all the junk in the world and binge watch my favourite shows. Thing's were already awkward between Vince and I, so to avoid him, I sat at the back of the car and let him drive me like he was my chauffeur. Sometimes, he makes me wish that's all he ever was.

The drive was taking longer than I expected and the venue wasn't even anywhere near the area we were in.

"Vince, why aren't we going to the venue?"

"Something came up and I have to handle it before we go to your party. For once, can you stop acting like a child and not complain?" Vince's tone was harsh as always. Today was my day, and he was taking it away from me.

"No, Vincent. You know how much this means to me. Why can't you just give up your job for twenty minutes? I'm not even asking you to stay," he avoids answering my question by pulling into an abandoned building. I was stunned at how heartless he is.

"Stay in the car, I'll be back in a few minutes," his brown eyes were full of warning. He didn't want a response, just a quick reaction to display my consent so I bobbed my head knowingly. Then I watched him disappear behind the cracked walls of the building.