Chapter 54

"Even a good player will someday become a toy of a better player. It's called karma."
~ Unknown

"~ Unknown

......

I never thought life could be so complicated, yet quiet at the same time. As I sit at the table with Donte, his friends and some cheerleaders, my mind is focused on the table on the other side of the room.

Kai sits there, smiling and laughing with the rest of the gang but even then, seems a bit lost. His smile is forced, because I can tell every now and then, when his eyes flash up to mine, his smile falters.

"Summer, are you coming over tonight?" Donte questions.

"Uh- no, I have work," I let him know.

"Okay," he smiles back understandingly. The bell rings and everyone starts to get up. I get up as well and swing my bag over my shoulders. When I look back at the gang's table, it's completely empty.

"What do you have?" Donte asks.

"Calculus," I inform.

"Okay," he says, "I have strength and conditioning, so I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah," I reply watching him walk away.

......

"Wait, so you sent Alessio home?" Amelia questions as I lie down on the table.

"Yeah, he had work to do and he felt obliged to stay. I told him he could come back when he's done it all," I say as I unhook my bra.

"How long is that going to take?"

"He'll probably be back two weeks before the wedding. Until then, we'll just coordinate the plans over the phone," I inform.

"Ready?" the tattoo artist questions.

"Mm-hm," I bob my head.

"Okay, what did your dad say?"

"Nothing, he understands Alessio has his own business to run, wedding or no wedding."

"I guess, so have you even tried on any wedding dresses?"

"No, we still have like two months."

"Dude, finding the right dress can take years. We'll go dress shopping next week."

"Whatever you say," I reply.

"So, what's Alessio's opinion about the tattoo?"

"What do you mean?"

"What do you mean, what do you mean? Did you not tell Alessio that you're getting this?"

"Uh... no. Was I supposed to?"

"Oh my god, so you told no one?"

"I told you," I state the obvious.

"I guess that counts, well are you ever going to tell people you got this tattoo?"