Chapter 16

"... I'm a prisoner to my
addiction I'm addicted to a life that's
so empty and so cold ..."
~ The Weeknd ft. Lana Del Ray

......

"Where are we going?" a soft, anonymous voice wakes me up. From my fatal balled up position, I stretch my arms out as I sit up on the recliner sofa.

My eyes blurry, I blink several times turning my head to spot the person who the voice belongs to. In distance, I spot Alec helping some girls into a black van.

A knot forms in my stomach at the sight. When I make up my mind to stand up for them, it's too late. Alec gives the signal allowing the driver to take the girls to an unknown destination. Most of them will never be seen again.

After making sure the car has left, Alec turns around and walks in. Walking past me, he says, "Breakfast is an hour."

I don't reply. Instead, I get up and grab my box on the way to the bathroom. Once I'm in, I hide the box deep in a cupboard. Soon after, I find a new tooth brush and brush my teeth just before heading into a cold shower.

Once I take a shower, I realize I have no clean clothes to change into so with a towel wrapped around me, I walk downstairs to the kitchen. Walking in, I spot Kai by the stove, Alec cutting some vegetables and Cole setting the table.

They all seem happy with a light conversation about who's a better a rapper Kayne or Jay-Z. I don't want to destroy a moment, I thought would be impossible, but it's too cold for my body to stay in a towel. To get their attention, I clear my throat. For a bunch of people who run a gang, it's weird they didn't notice me earlier. I guess they were into their conversation just as much as I was.

All their heads turn my way. Cole and Alec's eyes stay close to my head but Kai's eyes scan me from head to toe. A remote feeling finds a way through me making me uncomfortable. His stare makes me fidget, scared that the towel might not be covering what it needs to. I'm not sure if it's actually fear or something else. The feeling is too foreign for me to know for sure what it exactly is.

When the, now dark eyes, meet mine, they send chills down my spine. It's like they're approving me in a way. Why they're approving me? Is something I don't want to find out.

"Missing something?" Alec asks, his tone full of mockery.

"Just clean clothes," I reply not taking my eyes off of Kai's. It's like we're challenging each other to see who will give up first.

With my response, Kai's eyes close in realization, "Right. I'll grab you some."

I let him walk past me to get some clothes as I follow behind.

"I'll bring them to you," he says. We part ways at the stairs. A few minutes later, Kai shows up with clothes in his hands. He gives them to me and leaves silently. Without another thought, I change into the black pair of skinny jeans and a lose white hoodie.

I take out most of the moisture in my hair with the towel and leave the rest to air dry. After throwing old clothes into the laundry basket, I make my way down to the kitchen. Everything is quiet as the three boys eat on the dining table. On their plates, are pancakes and a side salad along with orange juice.

Since I don't spot any extra food on the table they're eating at, I walk closer to the kitchen counter only to find more of nothing. Guessing I'm not a part of the breakfast club, I find a box of gluten free cereal on top of the fridge and decide that's my breakfast for today.

When I look around the kitchen, I internally groan. The kitchen is massive with almost fifty cupboards and drawers. Starting the search for some dishes and cutlery, I open the cupboard closest to the fridge. I open ten different one's before finding the dishes and the drawer right beneath that cupboard holds some cutlery.