Chapter 39

"Weakness is not a reason, just an excuse."
~ Unknown

......

"So, what's up with you and Kai?" Dakota asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask taking a sip of my coffee. It's been three days since Kai and I found out that my symptoms of pregnancy were just a false alarm.

Cole is still recovering in the hospital and should be home tomorrow. Dakota, Alec's girlfriend and Amelia, Alec's sister both arrived two days ago from a long term mission they were on.

At first, I wasn't in the mood to get acquainted with any of them, but they have quite persuasive personalities. Soon, I learned that they're also bearable company.

Amelia's more of a type to hide her pain under a smile and killer looks while Dakota is straight up without a single filter. I don't know which one of them I prefer more, but all I know is, it's been relieving to just be around people who don't carry dicks between their legs.

"You know, the way you look at each other, avoid any small talk, disappear into the same room at night and walk out in the morning like you didn't just spend the night together?"

"Well, before you guys arrived, Kai and I thought that I was pregnant with his child. Luckily, it was just a scare, but since then, things have been excessively formal between us. I guess we just know or feel too much to say anything. We both know what we want and know that we can't get it, so we just pretend to be unaware. I guess it's just easier that way."

"And what is it you both want?" Amelia questions adjusting her dirty blonde hair to settle behind her shoulders.

"For me to stay."

"And do you want to?"

"Stay?" I inquire.

"Yeah. After you're deal is done, do you think there's a chance you'll stay?"

"I don't know," I admit. "I know I should say no, but at this point, I don't know what I'll want by the end of everything."

"By the looks of it, I don't think you'll have to face anything too soon. Alec said that Nick hasn't been spotted since he shot Kai."

"That's odd."

"You didn't know?" Dakota's forehead wrinkles in confusion.

"No, they haven't told me anything. They said if I know about what's happening, I'll force myself out of bedrest and start training which honestly doesn't sound so bad now. At first, they didn't let me train because they thought I was pregnant, but now they really have no excuse."

"They just want you to heal, Summer. Nick is... spontaneous. Who knows what he'll do and when. You saw him in action that night when you tried going undercover, remember? He's too smart, he knew exactly who you were."

"I guess, but the more I stay away from practicing, the more vulnerable I feel."

"I bet a hundred dollars that if we got attacked right now-" Dakota eyes the small cafe and leans in- "you'd get us out in a under a minute."

"That's debatable," I shrug, finishing the last bit of my muffin. "So what are we doing now?"

"It's only ten and I was thinking that we go shopping and then meet the guys out for dinner before movie night, back at the house."

"I can't believe you guys got them to agree to dinner and movie night," I exaggerate getting up from my seat.

"This is kind of like protocol. Every time Dakota and I return home, we have to do something as a family because one day, only one of us might return or maybe none of us," Amelia explains calmly.