Chapter 62

"The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies."
~ Unknown

......

It's been three months and nothing has changed.

Somedays, Nick comes and shows me his worse, and somedays, I'm left alone with an endless train of thoughts in my mind.

The lock clicks, catching my attention. Even though the room is dark, my head turns right at the direction of the door watching as the first strip of light enters the room and slowly expands as the door opens.

A man walks in and roughly grabs my arm pulling me to a stand.

"Fuck," I groan. My eyelids still heavy, I barely keep them open as the man chains me to the wall.

My legs weak under me, the only thing that keeps me up are the cuffs on my arms.

"How are you doing today?" In walks Nick with his signature smirk as the other man exits.

I remain silent trying my best to stop shaking out of balance.

I hate being weak.

"How are your hands?" he questions. His face showing no remorse, he lifts his hands and opens my palms.

I turn my head and see the caning marks on my palms, swollen red with hints of purple. Remembering the pain, I close my eyes and drop my head.

My whole body is covered in marks, from the lashes of a belt to the lashes of a cane, hickeys and hand prints, the only spot on my body without any marking is my stomach.

But I'm sure that'll change soon.

Knowing him, he probably has something magnificent planned for the place that at a point, carried his unborn child.

"I want to introduce you to someone," he says. "Let her in."

Lifting my head, my eyes glue to the door. My mind goes blank as I see a very pregnant Cara walk in.

Cara was one of the girls in Nick's camp and the only person I talked to when he transferred me there. I thought she had died in the house fire the night I escaped.

"She's gonna give you what I didn't: love, money, and a heir. All very willingly, I assume," I word with disgust.

"Summer, it's nice to see you too. Last time I remember seeing you, you were running away after leaving me and every other girl in there to burn alive."

"You knew? This whole time you knew I was alive," I look at Nick.

"I did. She came right to me and I searched everywhere for you, but you were good. I couldn't find you, no matter how hard I tried. So, I silently waited. I knew you'd screw up one day and you did."

"I don't screw up."

"Even after everything I've done to you, you're attitude just doesn't go away, does it?"

"Guess you just need to try harder."

"Just the offer I was waiting for," Nick smirks.

He turns to Cara.

"Take your time and have fun babe," he kisses Cara's forehead. His eyes meet mine, taunting me before leaving.

"Cara," my tone underlies with a request for mercy.

"You left me to die," she says. Her blonde hair tied back in low a ponytail it lets the features on her face show perfectly. Her eyes a bit swollen from sleepless nights, I see the urge for revenge in them.