Chapter 9

"Don't hold on to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love."
~ Leo Buscaglia

......

The scenery passes by in a blur as I roughly roll down the steep hill. Multiple grunts leave my lips until I land on my back and I feel my body come to a full stop.

I open my eyes and watch as the sky spins around. Thirty seconds later, everything stops spinning and I turn around on my hands and knees. I stand up triggering the different sore spots around my body.

I wipe the dirt off from my legs and arms then pull out the leaves from my hair. As I stand up tall, a sharp sting runs through my side and I lift my shirt exposing the bleeding wound. I hiss when I try to clean the blood, but stop. I look up at the steep hill which seems almost fifty feet high.

"Summer!" I spot Alice at the top.

"Alice! I'm down here!"

"Kai's going to help!" she yells.

"What!" I yell back. In response, comes a scream followed by multiple grunts, much like mine five minutes ago. When I spot four bodies rolling down the hill, I turn around and run a good distance away.

I turn back around just in time to watch the four bodies land painfully on the ground.

"Are you fucking stupid?" I scream walking up to Kai's body lying on the ground. He opens his eyes and ignores me as he gets up. He brushes himself off and starts scanning the area, "I was talking to you."

He doesn't respond and I find Alice. I walk up to her angry at her decision making skills.

"Why would you ask these idiots for help?" I gesture to the three guys covered in dirt just like us.

"I thought they were smarter than this. They do run a fucking gang! Oh, and next time you decide to push me off a fucking cliff, keep in mind that I'll make sure that you'll never be able to create offspring," Alice warns Cole with dangerously cold eyes. Cole smirks in response as a little twinkle shows in his eyes when he notices his reaction bothers Alice.

"Sucks for you, Shortcake," he bites his bottom lip teasing her.

I roll my eyes as they continue their arguing and walk over to Kai who has his cellphone in hand.

"There's going to be no connection here."

"I know."

"Then?" I question.

"I'm looking at the compass."

"No use, we should walk around and we could maybe find a merging route back on the trail," I suggest.

"If you were actually paying attention as to where you were walking, you would have noticed that we didn't pass any other route. Thus, there is no merging point on the trail," Kai explains casually. His eyes never lifting off his phone.

I turn around and pull Alice away from her argument.

"I was winning!" she complains.

"Shut up and listen to me. We need to get them off our trail. I can find us a way out of here and if we're lucky, they'll get lost and get eaten by bears," I whisper.

She looks back at the three boys still assessing the surrounding area, "Let me grab my bag and then we'll book it."

I nod in response, "Hey guys!"

They all spin around and face us.

"Look, I think I found something," I point to the ground. They all run to me and I give Alice the go signal.