Chapter 42

Warning: Prepare yourselves for one heck of a climax!

......

"If I had a gun with two bullets and I was stuck in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and you, I'd shoot you twice."
~ Unknown

"~ Unknown

......

An alarm blares and I wake up with a panic. I reach over searching for my phone and as soon as it's in my grip, I pull it closer to me. Stretching my eyes, I turn off the alarm.

The room cold, with all my will power, I take the blanket off my upper half and sit up leaning my back against the headboard.

The date displaying February fourteenth, I go through my messages in hopes of finding one that would say happy birthday, but none do. 

I put my phone down and pout feeling a bit down. I had a rough sleep last night, because Kai didn't show up. He didn't come home all night. Maybe he deserves it, but I still wanted him to come. I wanted him to tell me that I'm what he wants.

Throwing the blanket to the side, I get up and freshen up before changing into a pair of sweats and a hoodie for the day. Once I'm ready, I head downstairs.

The house is empty like I predicted, so I just grab a glass of milk and make some eggs for myself. As I silently eat, the doorbell rings.

No one ever comes to the house ringing the bell, so I'm curious to see who it is. I head to the door and find the mailman. He hands me a package and I sign a paper before he leaves. I take the package into the house and read that it's for Alec from Dakota.

I shake my head and put the package down on the coffee table so that Alec can see it right when he comes in. Heading back to the kitchen, I stop in my tracks when I hear my phone ding. I bring out my phone and read the text.

Open the door.

I read off Kai's message. I wonder what it's about, but do as it says. I open the front door and a small box with a card is on the ground in front of my feet.

I pick up the box and bring it inside where I open the card.

Happy Birthday, Verano. PS, I'm sorry.

A smile grows on my face and I open the box. Inside is a small combat knife. I pick it up in my hands and feel the firm texture. On the blade, my initials are chiseled on and I can't help but feel spoiled. I haven't held a knife in my hands for a while, so him gifting me one, is quite a nice surprise. As I stand admiring the knife, my phone dings again.

I'll see you at school.

God, I hate this guy so much. All night he didn't come home, but now he's playing games with me on my birthday.