Chapter 46

"We met for a reason, either you're
a blessing or a lesson."
~ Unknown

......

"So his blood pressure and everything seems normal, he should be waking up soon," the doctor informs me.

"That's what you said two days ago. When should I start worrying?"

"Give him at least twenty-four hours. If he doesn't wake up, you can contact me and our next step will be to admit him into the hospital to run further tests."

"Okay, uh- thank you," I shake his hand.

"You're welcome and do you mind handing these over to Xavier for me?" he hands an envelope of papers.

"Sorry, I hope you don't mind me asking, but what are these for?"

"The results to your DNA test," he says.

"Oh, okay. I'll pass them along," I smile. I walk him out before heading upstairs to my father's office.

"Is he in there?" I question the guard standing watch outside the door. He nods in response so I knock on the door.

"Come in," I hear my father's voice. Taking the knob in my hand, I twist it. The door opens and I take a step in, closing the door behind me.

The office is exactly how remember it. All the walls are still lined with bookshelves, a small coffee table with two seats on the right side of the room and his personalized wooden desk right in front of the large window. From the window, the whole city can be seen and my eyes hold their gaze at the view.

Once I take it all in, my eyes drop to my father. Sat on his large seat and wearing another one of his suits, I walk up to his desk dropping the file in front of him.

"The results to the DNA test," I make known. He looks at the sealed envelope and then back up at me.

"I didn't do it for me. I did it to prove it your brothers. I hope you're aware of that."

"If I cared why you did it, I would've asked," I look him in the eyes as he speaks. His light brown eyes are something I never got from him.

"Would you like to discuss why you've come home? I'm sure it's important," he says.

"As soon as my friend is off his death bed, I'd love to share details."

"He has the blood of The Black Knights running through his veins. I'm sure you're rational enough to understand why Vince did what he did."

"He's a grown man. I'm sure Vincent doesn't need anyone advocating for him and I'm also sure, that you and I both know why he did what he did."

"You've matured a lot in the last two years," he says as his face holds a faint look of approval.

"The world does that to you," I retort. His lips form a small smile defining his wrinkles and once I feel there's nothing left to talk about, I turn around to leave.

"There's a celebration at Uncle Eric's place tonight, I'd like you to come with us," he tells me as I make my way to the exit. "And it's not an option."

"Good, I don't need an option to say no."

"Bring your friends if you must, but you're going out with us tonight."

"I don't want to meet people from the family. I'm not ready," I insist facing him.

"It's a good thing no one's asking you to be ready then. We're leaving at seven," he says before dropping his eyes down on the paper in front of him.