Chapter 63

"It's the things that we love most
that destroy us."
~ Unknown

......

"Hey, Kai wanted me to give you guys the tickets and tell you that we'll meet you guys at the hotel. We're deciding to visit the home in Chicago before we head to vacation."

"Oh, okay," Amelia smiles. "Are you sure? We can come along too."

"No, it's fine. We just wanna grab a few things from there," I inform.

"Okay then, I guess we'll see you at the hotel then?"

"Yup," I smile back giving Amelia a long hug. I sigh heavily feeling her warmth.

"You okay?" she asks.

"Yeah," I reply breaking the hug. "Just soaking in the love."

"Okay," she laughs eyeing me skeptically.

"See you there," Dakota says.

"Take care," Alec says.

"Hasta la vista," Cole laughs.

"Bye," I smile waving.

"They're not coming with us?" Kai calls from behind me. I turn around to find him holding Luke in his arms.

"Uh- no, they said they'll take the early flight."

"Okay, I guess we should get going too then," Kai says.

"Yeah, lets go," I smile. Both of us head down to the car. Once Kai buckles Luke into his seat, Kai takes the wheel driving us to the airport.

The last three months haven't been easy.

I called off the engagement with Alessio and he left after Dean's funeral. Anthony refused to say a word to me or even look in my direction and so he left the house the second he could with Zoe.

My father and Kai were left alone taking care of the black market.

Everyone else has been about, but my memories aren't clear enough for details as I spent most of the time alone trying to rebuild myself.

From speech therapy to physical therapy, I've been working on how to act normal.

Counselling has helped me deal with the mental and emotional trauma. I don't speak much, but I've made progress.

There was a time when all I did was look and say nothing at all.

......

"Did you grab what you needed?" Kai questions.

"Yeah," I reply as I play with Luke on Kai's bed.

"Ma-ma," Luke says as he claps his hands.

"Summer?" Kai starts.

"Yeah?"

"I know you don't wanna talk about it, but can we?"

"Kai, please. We're going on vacation now and I can't talk about it. You already know everything. You see the scars, don't you?"

"I see the scars, but it's the ones on the inside that matter to me. You say you love me, but in the last three months, we've shared more silence than words."

"I'm not doing this right now, Kai. Stop."

"No, I've been so patient with you. Three months, Summer. How much more time do you need?"

"As long as I live, that's how long. I don't wanna talk about it. But if you must know. I let Nick kidnap me, I let him rape me and torture me until I could have the chance to take out the chip. Whatever happened, happened because I wanted it to. Let's just say it's an experience I'll never forget."