Chapter 18

"...It's time to get the chains out Is your tongue tied up? 'Cause this is my ground And I'm dangerous And you can get off But it's all about me tonight..."
~ Demi Loavoto

......

"One mistake and you're dead," Kai whispers to me. He lets me go, but the gun is now pointed at my spine as I walk over to his bike. He gives me the keys and tells me to drive. I turn on the engine after he gets on. Telling me to speed up, Kai unpins a grenade and throws it at the herd of policemen. Thirty seconds later, I hear the blast.

All I know is that this is the least of the damages that are going to happen tonight.

"Tell Cole to bring the truck downtown behind the abandoned factory," I demand.

"You're in no position to order us
around, Summer. Stop on the side and let me drive," Kai shoves the gun deeper into my spine.

Angry, I turn the bike around at high speed. This causes Kai to fall off, onto the cement. I turn back and drive low enough to grab his gun off the road. I then stop a few feet away from his body.

He stands up dusting himself off. His eyes full of rage. His leather jacket ripped, I can tell I'll be earning a harsh punishment after tonight.

"Tell Cole to bring the truck where I said or I can kill you, find Cole and then kill him too. If Alec feels like helping any of you out, he can die too."

Kai's jaw clenches. He has no other option and he knows I'm capable of doing what I've laid out in front of him. I can't be messed with right now, he knows it.

"Cole, you heard her."

Once I hear what I needed to, I tuck the gun beside the other one. Then, I drive past Kai.

"You can catch your own ride," I state. From the side mirror, I watch as he kicks the ground in frustration.

There is no way I'm letting that truck reach its destination tonight. Whether Alice is there or not, those girls are all going home.

Going at a hundred and fifty kilometres per hour, I make it behind the building just as Cole pulls in. We both park our vehicles. I climb off and make my way to the back.

"Summer," Cole says exiting the driver's side.

He grabs my hands and turns me around. I wince and he let's me go, "You can't handle what's inside and you definitely won't be able to handle what happens after you open the door."

I look into his eyes. They're full of regret and fear. I don't know what he fears, but I know he deserves every bit of it. "You don't care about me, Cole. You care about yourself. If Alice is inside, you know I'll get her out and you'll have to see the hate in her eyes for you. I don't know why you do what you do. I won't question it either, but you should know everything comes with a consequence. If you can't handle what's going to happen after I open the door, then no one's stopping you from leaving."

Cole's head falls to the ground. I take that as my signal to continue on. As I reach the back of the truck, Alec drives in with Kai.

Kai's eyes are glued to me as I lift open the door. My eyes widen. Almost forty girls are in here. All in horrible condition, clothes stained with tears and hair full of knots. These girls look terrified.

At the back of the truck sits a girl with her head in her knees. She has the same hair I remember Alice having. My heart sinks at the sight. If this is Alice, I'll be torn and even if it isn't, I'm still going to break. With the little hope within me saying it's Alice, I climb inside of the truck and walk towards the girl.