Chapter 5: Day off

Diamond's POV:

Today was my day off, and I hates it. I loved working, so usually my day I was still at the club. I would help Tom set up, the girls with their costume's and makeup. I was kind of a mother hen there. When I would be out on the floor, I basically worked as a bouncer, just I don't look it at 5'3 and a 115lbs.

Since Tom drove me home last night, I didn't have my car. I tried calling Tom, but he refused to pick me up, and told me to relax today.

*Knock knock*

I went to my door and there stood a guy who looked like one of Roman's guards. I looked at his hands and saw a bandage on his right hand. "Sorry, was that me?" He nodded. "Listen I didn't want to hurt you, just disarm you. I'm sorry I hurt you" I was giving him my most sincere apologetic look. "I've been hurt worse, you are good with knives though, I'm impressed." He finally spoke, ha!

"Is that for me?" I asked pointing to the package. "Yes ma'am. It's from Mr. Luvano. He said if you accept, be ready by 6pm, a car will pick you up."

I take the package from him, "Thank you, what's your name?" "It's Alex ma'am" "Well Thank you, Alex."

He walks away, and I shut my door. The box is huge. I have difficulty carrying it in the house. I set it down, and pull the big red ribbon off. I unwrap the vanilla colored wrapping paper, and finally open the box.

There is a card and several smaller boxes inside. The card reads:
" I know you rejected me last night, but I was hoping you would accept this invitation. Would you please, go to dinner with me this evening. If after dinner you never want to see me again, I will accept defeat. Signed, Roman."

I open the first box and inside is necklace and matching earrings. They are emeralds, in a floral design, with silver filigree metal work. The necklace is in a y setting. The next box, was a pair of heels. They were black jeweled Jimmy Choos, I was in love! The next box had a note on it. "Please, do not think I'm a pervert!" I started laughing, when I opened the box. It was a lingerie set. The last box had a dress in it. It was silver sequined. It was floor length, with a slit to mid thigh. It was tank strapped, backless, with a sweetheart neckline.

In the bottom of the box another note. "If nothing fits, blame Tom. He told me your sizes." I started cracking up, and grabbed my phone.

"Diamond, I already told you, you are not coming into work!"

"Tom, how dare you tell him my sizes! I ought to storm over there and smack you!" I yelled, but tried to hold in my giggle. I couldn't let him off the hook just yet.

"Sweetheart, I take it you got his gifts?" He asked guiltily.

"Yep, sure did."

"Are you going?" He was almost begging.

"Well, Tom. You know I'm not really ready. I still have panic attacks when men try to touch me. I flip, and break their hands. Do you think he would shoot me, if I broke his hand on a date?" I was hesitant.

"No honey, you may think me an old man, but im actually a scary man, and if he did, I would kill him. You are like a daughter to me, no way he will lay a harmful finger on you." Tom voice was cold, but reassuring.

"Tom, I know you are a scary old man. I never doubted it. I don't have to know your past to know that. I had already decided to give him a chance before I called you. He is too cute and pathetic, to not give him a chance. However, since you gave him my sizes, you have to come over and help me get ready!" I could here Tom smiling.

"What time is he picking you up?"

"6. I'm going to jump in the shower! Love you!" I hung up before he could protest. It was 3, but I had makeup, hair, shaving, and nails to do!

2 hours and 45 minutes later.

"Sweetheart! You are so beautiful!" Tom said with tears in his eyes.

"Stop or you are going to make me cry, and ruin my makeup!" I dabbed the inside corners of my eyes. I hardly did any makeup, cause I wanted him to see the real me, the no makeup me.

A girl's essentials are lipstick and mascara! Well, and blush, and eyeliner for me.

"Tom, do me a favor? If its him picking me up, please scare him, like I'm turning him down?" I looked at Tom and he had this astonished look.

"Why on earth would you want me to do that?!?" Tom was flabbergasted.

"Because, I want him to think he has to do more than just buy a girl pretty clothes, and expensive shoes to win her heart. After you tell him the gifts didn't work. Make him sweat, and tell him it was the hand written notes." Tom just sat there beaming.

"Young lady, you set that boy straight." He winked at me and there was a knock at the door. My heart kept into my throat. I went to position myself where he wouldn't be able to see me from the door, but I could hear everything.

Roman's POV:

My heart was pounding in my chest. What if she still says no? What if she hated the gifts? Oh God, was I too corny in my notes? She is so going to turn me down.

I paced in front of her door. I finally got the courage to knock.

"Tom? What are you doing here?" I wasn't expecting him.

"She called me after she got your gifts. The gifts didn't work Roman, I'm sorry. She holed herself up, and I told her I would answer the door." He looked so disappointed for me.

"Tom, I know nothing about this, she is different than any other woman I have met. Tell what I should do? I'm going crazy over this, and I've known her two days!" I was about to fall on my knees and beg him to help me.

"Whoa, hold on now. The gifts didn't work. However, I said nothing about your notes." I looked at him confused, and he opened the door up more. And I saw her.

She was smiling, but it was her normal smile. Was this her vulnerable side. Before I could look at her more, Tom pushed me outside and gave me a serious look.

"Roman, I love you as a son, but if you do anything to this woman, I swear your parents' will bury you. I'm going to tell you something, but if you say a word of it to her, you will be burying me. I had to get her drunk to tell me." He paused and took a deep breath.

"Roman, she has been married three times. This girl has been beaten, raped, convinced she was crazy, had a gun to her head, and that was just her first husband. She lost her best friend of multiple years, that also was her husband at the time. She got remarried, to a police officer, and they weren't married very long, when he was killed while on duty. She may be young, but she was lived more in her life time than someone should in three or four lifetimes. She told me that wasn't even her full story, but more of a condensed. She comes across cold, but she comes in on her days off and helps at the club. She makes sure the girls are safe, she gives rides to the girls. This woman still has so much heart to give, even all that she has been through." He finally took another breath. My heart felt like it broke into a million pieces for her.

I wanted to go scoop her up and hold her.

"Roman, I didn't tell you all that to get you all soft. I want you to realize, she is giving you a chance, so do NOT FUCK IT UP, OR I WILL KILL YOU!" Tom has never raised his voice to me, it snapped me out of my head though. It got me straight.

"Now, would you like to see your date?" He asked while opening the door.