Preview!

Nina's POV:

"What the FUCK were you doing?" My step dad slapped me. I fell to the floor.

"You should have been home before now!" He screamed on my face. "Come, there is someone you need to meet." He doesn't yell, but straightens his suit jacket.

He walks towards his office. I follow him with my head down. This has been my life since I can remember. I have scars on my body from all the torture I have been through. He killed my mom when she didn't give him a son.

He killed my real dad, because he wanted my mom. He is my only family I have left. He owns a gang here in New York. I'm the gangs property. Women hold no value, we are property. We live to serve the men.

I cook for all the men, I clean up after them. Martin, my step dad, told me when I turn 16 I'll start serving the men's other needs. It disgusts me.

"Nina, this is Giovanni. You will be leaving with him in three days. He have no value here anymore. Giovanni has offered a hansom price to take you off my hands." Martin pulls me out of my thoughts. Giovanni looks at me like I am a piece of meat. It's disgusting.

"Giovanni is in the Italian mafia. We are talking a peace treaty, and you are one of the benefits of it." Martin smirks at me. "Say hi, don't be rude." He bellows.

"H-hi, Giovanni." I extend my hand, to shake his hand.

"You will call me master, or sir." He glares at me, with lust in his eyes. I can't do this, I have to escape! I will not go with this man.

Think of a plan Nina! I could sneak out, but where would I go? How would I pay for anything? I can clean Martin's office. He doesn't know i know the combination to the safe. I'll steal money from him! Now, how to get past the guards? Yes! I'm allowed to go to school, I'll skip school! I've got it. Steal money tonight, and skip school and town tomorrow.

Later that night. I'm cleaning, like I'm supposed to. Martin's men have knocked my mop bucket over, and kicked me to the floor. No one here appreciates me.

"Dad, I need to clean your office. It's been a week." I tell him, with my head down. I'm holding my cleaning supplies.

"About time! This place was a mess when Giovanni came in! I want it spotless. I'm leaving for a meeting anyway." A sigh of relief comes over me. I was afraid he would stay in here while I cleaned.

After he leaves and shuts the door. I take everything over to the safe. I put in the combination. I pull out as much as I can stuff into my jeans pockets, my waist band, and in my cleaning bucket. Not enough where he will notice though.

I clean his office, and go to my room. I pull all my books out of my backpack. I wrap the money up in some clothes, and pack them in my bag. They check my bag, so I can only put in one pair of clothes. I out my books back in. I'll have to buy the stuff I need.

The next money goes off without a hitch. I get to school. I don't have any friends. I'm not allowed, plus who would want to be friends with a fat, ugly, punching bag. I go to my first hour, then fake being sick to go to the nurse.

"You threw up?" The nurse asks. I nod.

"Okay, let me call your dad."

"No, please don't. He has important business today, and I don't want him interrupted. I'll just go home." She nods. She has seen my bruises, she knows but doesn't do anything. She knows what type of father Martin is.

I leave the school, as soon as I'm out of sight of it. I run, I run to the subway. I take the subway to the ferry. I am able to get on the ferry over to New Jersey.

I'm finally leaving New York. It's been my home for all my life. I decided to go to California. It will take me a while, and I need a new identity.

He will look for me. I need to get as far away as possible. I check the time, its 3. He will know I've run in about an hour. I am always home by 4, so when I'm not home, he will know.

After getting off the ferry, I walk to the metro, and see where the farthest I can take it is. I can't fly, or take a bus because they need my name for it. I'll have to take metros and trains. I check the time 3:45. I need to go. I hope on the metro, and head west.

It's now 4:15. I ditched my phone, cause he can track it. I ditched it at school. I'm almost to the last stop, I need to buy a phone so I can figure out where a train station is.

Finding a phone store, I go buy a pay as you go phone. I get kne of the fancier ones, so I can use the internet. The train station is 5 miles from me. I hail a taxi, and tell him to take me to the train station. He gives me a weird look, but goes anyway.

"Where you headed?" He asks. Shit, where am I going? I need a cover.

"Going to visit my aunt in Michigan." Guess I'll stop there.

"I have family from there, where in Michigan?" Of course this cabby is going to ask.

"Muskegon?" I have no idea. I heard a kid in my class say they had family from there. Their dad was from there.

"Never been there, but heard it's cold. Hope you have warmer clothes!" I look at my shorts and tank I'm wearing. I need new clothes, but I can't yet.

I pay and thank the cabby for the ride. Getting up to the automated tickets booth, I purchase a ticket to Muskegon, Michigan. The train is departing in 10 minutes. It's now 4:35. He will be livid.

After boarding the train, we depart. It's now the next day, and I arrive in Michigan. Getting off the train, I decide I am far enough away to purchase clothing, and toiletries.

"What's a pretty little thing like you doing in a place like this?" Some creepy guy asks me.

"Meeting my aunt. I am staying with her for a week." I tell him gruffly.

"You aren't from here, where you from little one?" He smirks at me.

"Darling? There you are! I was looking for you. We need to get home because I have pies in the oven." This older woman comes up and set her hand on my shoulder. I'm relieved, but also nervous.

"Uh, oh ok Aunty!" She nods, with a smile on her face. She leads me away from the man. I feel like I can trust her.

"You shouldn't talk to strangers. Especially creepy men like that." She scolds. "Now, I'll stay with you until your Aunt arrives."

"My aunt isn't coming. I don't have one. I'm running away." She gasps. I said too much.

"You must go home child! Your parents will be worried sick!" She almost yells.

"I don't have parents. My mom and dad are both dead. My step dad wasn't nice by any means. So I ran." She gasps again.

"Where are you going then?" I just shrug. "Then you are coming home with me. If he wasn't nice, we can get you into the system. I'm sure a nice family will take you." I pull out of her grasp.

"I'm not going into the system! I know the horror stories! Plus he will find me, and no one will believe me. I'm sorry I have to go!" With that I ran from her. She was nice, trying to do the right thing, but she doesn't understand. Not at all.