Camping

(Kidge)

"But the outdoors are gross!" Pidge whined. Her older brother was forcing her to go on a camping trip with his friends. "I don't want to go!"

"Katie, you have to do something outside. For once in your life," her mother scolded her. "I've already got your bag packed. Get in the car. You two are meeting Shiro and Adam there."

Pidge groaned loudly and sulked on the way to the car, following Matt.

The drive was long and boring. They were driving to the middle of nowhere. All Pidge knew was that it was near a lake, and that there was no wi-fi. She plugged in her earbuds and listened to 'No. 5' by Hollywood Undead. (If you don't know the song, either listen to it [please don't unless you're over 12] or... listen to it)

Matt pulled up in a parking space next to a black Volkswagen and a motorcycle. There were three people setting up tents. Matt and Pidge emerged from their car, Pidge still wearing her headphones, and unloaded what they had for the trip.

Matt and Shiro did that weird bro hug thing and started talking and setting up their tents. Pidge leaned on the car, arms crossed and stared at the group of four boys that she would be stuck with.

She recognized Shiro and Adam, but couldn't quite pinpoint who the black haired teenager was. She looked over at the lake and marveled at the way the light of the sun reflected on it. If her music wasn't so loud, she would have heard both her brother and Shiro's attempts at getting her attention.

She felt a tap on her shoulder and spun around, accidentally pulling the plug from her headphone jack. 'Bullet' (same warning as the last one) was playing, and the black haired boy's eyes widened.

"You listen to Hollywood Undead!?" he asked. Pidge nodded. She plugged the headphones back in and turned the volume down significantly. The boy stuck out his hand for her to shake.

"I'm Keith. Shiro's brother. You look like you want to be here just as much as I do." He smirked. Pidge chuckled.

"Pidge," she replied, shaking his hand with almost no hesitation.

"You two want to hit the lake?" Shiro hollered. "We can set everything up here, and then call you back when it's time for dinner."

Pidge and Keith looked at each other, then Pidge shrugged and said, "why not?"

She grabbed her swimsuit from her backpack and ran to the outhouse to change. Of course, the bathing suit her mother had put in her bag was her old green bikini. Keith emerged from the next door outhouse in red swim shorts. PIdge felt a slight blush creep up her cheeks, and she tried to cover it by dropping off her glasses with Matt and rushing into the lake.

She found an old fallen log, and she tiptoed across it, barely moving the thing in the water. The lake was cold, since it was later in the day, and Pidge loved it.

The only problem was that she couldn't swim very well. This became an even bigger problem when Keith accidentally knocked her into the water. She grabbed the log and coughed slightly. Keith cannonballed into the water and a wave of water washed over her, pushing her under the log.

She ended up trapped under the log and a large patch of water shrubs. She tried to push her way out, but was still stuck, and couldn't swim upwards. Quickly, he vision faded to black and she felt the cold water enter her lungs, just before she fell unconscious.

Keith couldn't find Pidge anywhere. He looked back to the log, and saw Pidge underwater, struggling to escape a trap of shrubbery, before ceasing her movement.

"Pidge!" Keith screamed. He swam as fast as he could and lifted her from the water, swimming to the shore. The three men came rushing towards them, and Shiro performed CPR. Keith held onto Pidge's hand as she shot upwards and threw up murky lake water. She coughed loudly, and shook where she sat, only to be pulled into a protective hug from Keith.

"I'm sorry," he muttered, over and over.

The three adults asked what had happened and Pidge recounted the events.

Keith felt bad for the rest of the trip, and they avoided the lake altogether. Instead, he and Pidge listened to music, and bonded over things they had in common.