Bandannas

"Cammie! Come on, bambina, Mommy has her meeting in a little bit. It's time to go to Uncle Sendak's house!" Pidge called out, her voice ringing through the small apartment. She started walking towards her daughter's room, but tripped over a stuffed toy. She picked it up, and found that it was the green lion toy she had been gifted when she was born.

"Camilla Louise, it's time to g--" her words caught in her throat when she saw her daughter. She was sleeping soundly, curled up in her blankets, and Pidge smiled, her heart warm. Six years ago, at the age of 18, Pidge thought she had made a mistake, but now looking at what had come from that chance encounter, she knew it wasn't a mistake. It was a miracle.

"Bambina, it's time to go. I'm going to drop you off at Uncle Sendak's house, okay?" she shook her small child awake.

"Mamma, I don't wanna go to Uncle Senak's house. He's kinda scary." Camilla climbed into her mother's arms, and allowed herself to be carried out to the car. Pidge buckled her into her carseat and handed her the stuffed animal.

"Green wants to go to Uncle Sendak's house."

Camilla grabbed the toy and held it in the air, imitating something flying. Pidge fastened her own seat belt and put the car into gear.

"No she doesn't. She thinks Uncle Senak is scary too. She wants to come to your meeting. I do too."

Pidge thought for a moment. Cammie really didn't want to go to Sendak's place. Pidge couldn't blame her. Sendak wasn't her favourite gang member either.

"I'll tell you what," Pidge started. "You don't have to go to Sendak's house. But, you're going to wait in the car and read your books, okay?"

"But Ma-"

"I'll take you to the park after, okay? We'll get ice cream." Pidge remembered that she needed to keep her patience. This wasn't somebody she could pull a gun on. This was her child. Her only family left, aside from the gang.

"Okay!" Cammie shouted enthusiastically. Pidge just laughed and turned on the radio. She flipped through channels, all of them playing terrible pop songs, or music that Camilla couldn't listen to. Eventually she found a song that both of them liked, and let that play. Once the song finished, however the news came on.

"The ongoing gang battles between the Galra and Volt-" Pidge shut off the radio quickly, but not before Camilla could ask the question, "What's a Galra?"

"Look! We're here!" Pidge said, hopefully dispelling any more questions Camilla might have. Pidge rolled down the windows slightly, giving Cammie some fresh air to breathe, as the six-year-old picked through her pile of books in the backseat.

Pidge's gang meeting lasted longer than she expected. She sat with her chin in her hands as Lotor droned on and on.

"--ut as usual, Pidge was the only one capable of completing her given task." Her head perked up as Lotor said her name.

"Actually, I only got half the data we need. The big one came in. I wasn't caught, don't worry. I'm going back tonight," Pidge explained. Lotor nodded. So long as his right hand man, or woman, finished the task before the end of the week, they wouldn't have any problems. They needed to get the drop on the opposing gang in the city Arus, before anymore gang fights, or even full out wars broke out.

"That's alright. But get it done. We don't know what the other side is planning."

Haxus muttered something across the table, and Pidge raised her eyebrow.

"What was that, Haxus?" Lotor questioned.

"I said, you're going soft on this girl. Any of us would have been lashed, but her, nooooo. She gets special treatment for being your right hand girl, and the only woman in the damn gang." Haxus stood, followed by Lotor and Pidge. "That little bitch is treated like a queen here, and it's bullshit!"

Lotor pulled a handgun from his jeans and aimed at Haxus.

"No!" Pidge yelled. "My daughter is out in the parking lot. I don't want her exposed to the sound of gunshots yet." Lotor lowed his gun, but glowered at Haxus.

"You're only still alive because we all care about that child," Lotor gritted out.

"Speaking of, am I taking her tonight?" Keith asked. Pidge nodded, and tied her hair back with her violet bandanna.

"I have to get back to her."

Pidge climbed into her car and looked at her daughter in the backseat.

"What happened?" Pidge asked, upon seeing Camilla's tear stricken face.

"D-d-dobby!" she cried out. Pidge was proud that she had taught her daughter to read at such a young age.

"Oh my bambina," Pidge giggled. "Let's go to the park, okay?"

Camilla nodded, her cries lowering to the occasional hiccup.

They pulled into the parking lot and Camilla right away ran to the swing. There was another boy playing on the swing next to hers. Pidge sat on a bench and read her book quietly for a while.

She looked up to check on Camilla, and saw that she was chatting happily with the boy on the neighboring swing. Pidge smiled and returned to her book for a moment, before Cammie ran up and started speaking quickly and excitedly.

"Mamamina! Can I play with my new friend? He lives across the road!" Camilla pointed towards the light blue house across from the playground.

"I have to meet the mummy or daddy of your new friend before you can play at his or her house, right?" Pidge reminded kindly. Camilla nodded and grabbed Pidge's hand, pulling towards a tall man with dark skin, while the boy she had played with pulled the man over to her.

"Blue, mijo, chill out!" he laughed as his son tugged him by the wrist.

Pidge and Camilla met them halfway, and Pidge started to speak, a small smile on her face.

"Hi, my name is Ka-" she stopped herself halfway through her sentence, noticing the blue bandanna tied through his belt loop. He seemed to notice the purple one in her hair, because he lost his cheerful expression at the sight of her.

Pidge's left hand twitched to her side, instinctively going for the gun she held in her pants. He did the same, but neither of them drew.

There are kids here. Don't, her expression said.

So long as you don't. My son doesn't need this, his responded.

"Mamma, you met Blue's daddy, can we play now?" Camilla asked, eagerly looking between Pidge and the boy's father. Pidge dropped down to her daughters level, the man's right hand twitching once more, every so subtly, at her sudden movement.

"We can't play today, silly," she giggled, bopping a finger on her daughter's nose. "We have to go get ice cream! Then mummy has a lot to do later." Pidge's eyes glanced up at the man with the blue bandanna, his glaring daggers at her. Pidge stood from her crouched position. "You can play for five more minutes," she opened her hand, showing all five fingers, no longer giving a damn about making sudden movements, "but then we have to go, okay? You're going to have a sleepover with Uncle Keith."

"But Mamma! Can't I have a sleepover with Blue instead?"

"No buts bambina. Keith is really excited!" Pidge explained enthusiastically. Please just agree!

"Okay." She turned to Blue. "Want to play some more until I have to leave?" Thank God!

"Yeah!" Blue jumped up and grabbed her hand, running with her to the teeter-totter.

Pidge gave one more glance at Blue's father, then nodded curtly and walked away. She knew it was stupid to turn her back, but they were in a public place. He wouldn't try anything at a playground. She gathered her things, waiting for her child, and tried not to think of her encounter with a member of the Voltron Gang.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone wondering, Camilla is an Italian name, and it is pronounced Cam-i-ya.

I don't know shit about gangs, so I'm just pulling my knowledge out of my a- I mean- from T.V shows, movies and books. Hope y'all don't mind.

K bye.

-JollyProbiotics