Tribute (Part 3)

Pidge ran in blind. As soon as the bell rang, she ran into the cornucopia. She saw Bandor run off, and panic struck when she saw another tribute go after him, though it didn't click who it was. She grabbed a knife, a bow and quiver of arrows, and a backpack. She stuffed it with as much food as she could find, six full water bottles as many mechanical items as she could. She was hidden behind a large supply box, so she was difficult to see. She managed to sprint from the cornucopia.

She came face to face with a grinning Lotor, and she sliced her knife along his leg as he lifted his weapon. She continued running in the direction that Bandor went, while Lotor fell to the ground holding his leg. He was immediately swarmed by people wanting to help him.

Pidge cackled at his distraction. She looked around. They were in an apocalyptic radioactive wasteland, with broken buildings, debris and rubble strewn about, and dead plants. Everything was dry and dusty, and Pidge was surprised that there weren't zombies wandering around. It looked identical to the description in a book she once read.

She eventually stopped running, and just walked quickly, looking for Bandor, or an indication of where he was. The wasteland spread out for miles, so she hoped he stayed on one track.

She came across one destroyed building covered in 'X's. They looked like they had been just recently carved in by a small metal scrap. It wasn't noticeable to anyone else, but it was very clear that was where Bandor was hidden.

She looked around her and saw no one else, so she sprinted to the entrance of the destroyed building. She walked in and up a set of stairs. A knife was pointed to her face and she grabbed the wrist holding it. She spun it behind the owners back and held it tight.

"Ah! I tap! You win!" Lance yelled out.

"Katie, let go!" Bandor cried.

Katie's hand retracted quickly and she ran over to hug Bandor.

"Oh, thank god you're okay!" Then she spun around. She drew her bow and pointed it at Lance. "I need you to leave. I don't want you jeopardizing my plan."

"To keep Bandor alive? Look. If I wanted him dead, I would have done it already. He's just a kid. Screw off with this overprotective bullshit." Lance pushed the end of the arrow away, and Pidge put it down.

She sat in the corner next to Bandor and handed him a bottle of water, instructing him to ration it as well as he could. She tossed one over to Lance as well, and glared in his general direction.

"So, what do you want?" she snapped.

"To not die, I guess." Lance grinned at her.

"That's asking a lot. Have you looked outside?" Bandor piped up, causing Pidge to chuckle.

The three of them survived for a whole day, sleeping in shifts, Lance and Pidge keeping watch, while Bandor slept, or stayed quiet. That's when the first bomb dropped. Pidge was asleep when the explosion sounded. She originally thought it was a canon, signaling a death, but when Lance shook her awake frantically, she jumped up and grabbed her bag and weapons. They ran down a flight of stairs and found that the front door was blocked. 

"Well, looks like you have a bit of a problem."

Pidge spun around quickly, weapon drawn, arrow head pointed at Lotor's face. He was blocking the back door.

"Ah, ah, ah, I'd think twice about that, gorgeous," he smirked, motioning for her to turn around. She saw Lance with the end of his machete pointed at Sendak, one of Lotor's goons. Sendak had a knife to Bandor's throat.

Pidge looked around for any way she could get the three of them out alive. She still had her weapon drawn, so she shot Sendak as she kicked Lotor. She felt a knife slash her upper arm, and Lance lunged at Lotor, stabbing him through the chest with his machete.

Pidge checked on Bandor, and...

He was choking on his own blood. Sendak had an arrow in his chest, and his knife in Bandor's.

"No!" Pidge screamed. She sliced across Sendak's throat and he fell limp.

"Bandor, no. Baby, it's okay. Don't worry, you'll be fine. You're going to go home. I promise." Pidge cradled him, and stroked his hair. She accidentally got some blood in his light blonde hair, and felt really bad.

"I'm sorry, I got something in your hair. I'm sorry buddy."

"It's okay, Katie. Thank you... tell my mamma I love her. Plea-" he broke into a coughing fit and blood spurted from his mouth. It splashed across her face, and she cried as his eyes closed, and his last breath left his lungs.