Tribute (Part 1)

Katie's hand hovered over the large glass bowl. She took a large shaky breath, and loosened her grip on the slip of paper he held, only to grip it tighter.

"You know, it'll be over with sooner if you actually let it go," her brother sighed. He placed a heavy hand on her shoulder. "They dig into the bowl. They're not gonna pick your name off the top. It's three hours away. You'll be fine. I'll be fine. It's all okay."

Katie sighed. She let the paper fall from her grasp and watched as it landed silently on the ever growing pile of names. She couldn't imagine what she would do if her name was called, or her brother's.

"Come on, we have to go get ready." Matt took her by the hand and pulled her down from the stand, back to their home.

Katie opened her bedroom door and flopped forwards onto her bed, crinkling the dress that had been laid out for her. The Reaping was stupid. She hated it, and saw no reason in why she had to put up with it, and live through the fear of it.

This was her third year placing her name in the bowl, which meant she had to put in three slips of paper in. Luckily, she was only three years away from being done with this bullshit. It was her brothers last year, and she envied him.

Their parents had both had to suffer through this, and they survived, without having their names called. What made Katie and Matt any different?

"Katie, you need to get ready, darling," her mother said, knocking lightly on her door. Katie nodded. She took a shower and dried her hair, tying it up neatly. She put on the green dress and black heels, making herself seem slightly taller.

"Oh, you look gorgeous," Colleen said to her children. Matt wore a maroon dress shirt tucked into his black jeans, and had washed his hair, combing it to the side.

"You look very spiffy," Pidge joked, poking her brother in the cheek. He laughed and gave her a tight hug, careful not to offset her hair.

The two siblings wished each other luck, then walked into the gender specific enclosures. Katie stood with the girls and took a large, unsteady breath as the announcer walked up onto the podium and started the long ass speech.

Katie zoned out, not caring for what anyone said. Until the names were called.

"To shake things up, we'll start with the boys!" Allura squealed. She trotted over to the large glass bowl holding the boys names. She plucked a slip of paper and, once back at the microphone, spoke the name gently into it.

"Bandor Pollux." Katie's heart split in two. She fought the tears forming at her eyes. She used to babysit that boy. It was his first year putting his name in the bowl.

"And now, for the ladies!" Allura pulled a slip right from the top of the bowl. Katie held her breath, and she could feel the tension hanging in the air.

"Luca Komar!" Katie couldn't stand it. Another child she babysat. Another first year. She raised a closed fist and felt her voice crack and go raw.

"I volunteer as tribute!"