Green Magic (Part 1)

Lance often stared out his window. He would look at the sky, especially at night, when the stars poked their way through the clouds and smog. He looked at the small forest that stretched a short distance behind his house. He watched the cars pass, but what he paid most attention to, was the painfully large, old, empty house next door.

It had been years since the last person had lived there. The kind old lady that had previously lived there had passed peacefully in her sleep. The house was always much too expensive for anyone to buy. Not to mention almost everyone believed the rumors of the place being haunted.

He was looking out of the window, staring into the house, and wondering how no one had broken in and vandalized the place, when a large moving truck pulled up.

He was called down to dinner, so he was unable to continue watching. He ran down two flights of stairs and found his whole family sitting at the table and waiting to eat.

"We've been calling you for the last five minutes, mijo," his mother sighed, "What were you doing up there?"

His older sister Veronica snickered slightly, earning a swat from their mother.

"New neighbors." He sat down and stared inhaling his food, hoping to get back up to his room soon. He was very intrigued at the fact that someone had finally moved in. Luck was not on his side however, because not only did he have to clean up after dinner, it was also family game night. He was really not really into it, and kept trying to lose the games, so that they would end sooner.

By the time he got back to his room, the sun had gone down, and he had to head to sleep. Spring break as it was, he had to get back into the school routine.

He passed out hoping that the new neighbors had someone his age with them. He was, annoyingly, the only teenager on his block.

He woke up at six am, and all the lights in the giant wooden house were out, and all the windows and curtains were closed, except for the room directly across from his.

There was a young girl, probably about fifteen or sixteen years of age. She was moving boxes around her room. Lance silently cheered. She looked out her window and waved, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand. Lance thought this might have been from his excessive tiredness, because he could have sworn the box was hovering next to her. Lance blinked and raised his eyebrows, and the girl swatted the box down. Lance heard the thud from his room. He would have smiled at that, had he not been so confused.

She smiled kindly and opened her window. Leaning out of it, she quietly hollered, "Howdy neighbor. How's it going?"

"I'm great now that there is someone my age around here. How about you?" he asked, smiling back.

"I'm Katie, but most people call me Pidge. I'd shake your hand but I don't think I can reach that far," she laughed at herself. Lance liked the sound of her laugh.

"I'm Lance," he nodded politely. "But most people call me... Lance."

"Lovely to meet you Lance. I have to get back to unpacking, and tidying up my room. Maybe I'll see you again." She waved once more, then turned around and lifted up another box.

"Wait, Pidge." She turned around, her kind smile still on her face. "Do you need any help cleaning and organizing anything? My family won't be awake for another three-ish hours, and I'm bored."

"Sure. Come down to the front door and I'll let you in. But you might want to change out of your pajamas." She giggled and turned to lift more boxes.

Lance quickly shut his curtains and changed into his favourite t-shirt and a pair of jeans. Grabbing his phone and jacket he ran down the stairs and out the door. He ran his hand through his hair and slowed his pace as he walked the short distance along the sidewalk, trying to seem like he hadn't rushed over as fast as possible.

He knocked quietly, not wanting to wake anyone up that might be sleeping, on the door and it swung open quickly. Pidge stood in the doorway with a soft smile. Lance studied her quickly. She was wearing a shirt almost identical to the design of his, only green instead of blue. Her black jean short were obviously cut by her. She invited him in, and led him past stacks and stacks of boxes.

There were only a couple large pieces of furniture in the middle of her room, and a bed pushed to the corner, with piles of boxes at the end of the bed, and more, in a smaller pile at the center of the room. She pulled a broom from the corner of her room and handed it to him, requesting that he sweep the floor.

He accepted and swept away the dust and dirt into a pile in the corner. He helped clear away the cobwebs that had gathered in the upper edges of the walls, while she scrubbed old mirrors and windows, and the mud splatters and stains.

"Want me to start unpacking boxes?" he asked. Pidge looked up and around the room, then pointed to a large pile at the end of her bed. "There should be a box of books in there, if you pushed the book shelf to the wall, then put them all on there, I would be pretty grateful."

"Sure," Lance agreed. He rifled through the boxes and found the largest box of them all, labelled 'Books.'

"How do you want them organized?" Lance chuckled at himself. "Dewey decimal, colour coded?"

"Alphabetically, if you don't mind," Pidge dead-panned. She pushed her dresser to the wall, and Lance, surprisingly, didn't have to help her lift the giant mirror. He could have sworn there was a flash of green light from behind him as she lifted it, but he ruled it off as a trick of the light.

Pidge organized her clothes into the drawers, and once the room was clear of dirt and grime, and boxes of trinkets, not including the small pile in the corner. "I'll deal with that later," she had said, before Lance offered to take her for coffee. She gratefully accepted and the two of them went downtown to a cute little coffee shop.

Pidge ordered a caramel macchiato, with two shots of espresso and chocolate sprinkles. Lance found the addition of sprinkles to be adorable, and overlooked the extra espresso shots.

Lance himself ordered a simple iced mocha. When they got to the payment part of their orders, Pidge refused to let Lance pay for her coffee. She pulled the exact change from her pocket. And placed it on the counter for the cashier. The two of them retrieved their coffee, then wandered around town for a while. Lance pointed out shops and buildings, and places that he spends most of his time with his friends.

He showed her the high school, the convenience store a five minute walk away, the playground, the library, and, at Pidge's request, the garden store. They talked for a while, and Lance learned that Pidge would be attending his school. She was a year younger than him, but she was bumped up a year.

"So, where did you move here from?" Lance asked.

"Salem, Massachusetts," she said.

"If my history is correct, and it's probably not, isn't that where the witch trials were?"

"Correct. Good job."

"So, Pidge, are you a witch?" Lance quirked his eyebrows playfully.

"Yes, Lance. Obviously. Because I'm from the place where all witch lore and mythology is from, I'm definitely a witch."

"So, you can do magic, right?"

"Dumb ass, I was being sarcastic." Pidge crossed her arms and tried to fight off her growing smile.

"I could tell, don't worry. Your secret is safe with me." He winked.