Pidge doesn't want to go to a Diplomatic Ball (Part 1)

"But why do I have to go? This is your domain. Let me stay with my babies," Pidge whined to Shiro, cuddling her current robotic project. Shiro pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"Pidge, we've had this conversation repeatedly. Diplomatic meetings need all of us. If one Paladin is missing, what are the political leaders going to think?"

"That I have better things to do," Pidge snarked. She placed her robot on the desk and leaned back in her rolling chair.

"Exactly, and we don't want that. We want the allies," Shiro sighed, exasperated.

Pidge spun around, not paying attention to the Black Paladin.

"Allura is going to get you ready. Whether you like it or not. Meet her in her room, or we will be forced to use hostility."

Pidge knew Shiro was just teasing, but she still looked at him dully. "Fuck off. I'll go in a bit."

"Watch your language," he scolded. "And we're going to be at the ball in three hours, so I suggest you hurry."

"Pfft. Three hours. That's plenty of time," Pidge muttered as Shiro walked away.

"Not for what I have planned!" Allura squealed. She entered the lab and grabbed Pidge by the arm, not caring for the protests that the bantam girl made. She was dragged out of the room, and didn't even have time to lock the door before she was subjected to torture. Oh well, she and Allura needed some girl time.

Oh god Hunk is gonna snoop. She thought. And he'll drag Lance along. Fuck.

Pidge was placed on Allura's bed. She was surrounded by dresses and headpieces and all Pidge could feel was dread. She hadn't worn a dress since before the Kerberos mission. And the only reason for that was because her mother insisted on it. She ran her hand along the soft material and felt a pit grow in her stomach.

"So, Pidge, I suggest we stay with the green, to match your suit. And we keep a natural look with the hair and makeup."

"Makeup?" Pidge asked, unconsciously scooting backwards and away from Allura. The Altean woman just laughed softly and scooped up the dresses with her arms. Pidge cringed at the thought.

"Here, I think this will fit you." Allura held up a hanger with a dark green dress on it. It didn't look like anything that Pidge had seen Allura wear. It also looked nothing like the traditional Altean party wear she had seen in Allura's closet. It looked more earthen. The straps sat off of the shoulders, and the front was a cross style. It was a tea length. Pidge only remembered that from when she had been taking to get a dress for her school dance.That's what the clerk had said, at least. The waist was made up of an intricate lining of more crisscross pieces of fabric. It looked tight. It flared out at the bottom, and lace designs trailed up from the hem. Pidge breathed in, but took the dress from her hand and stalked off to the Altean's bathroom.

Each paladin had one, but Allura's was the largest. Probably because she was royalty. Pidge thought as she changed. If Allura was the last Altean, and she was a princess, then...

"Hey Allura," she started as she emerged from the side room. "If-"

"Oh my goodness, Pidge! You look so amazing!" Allura squealed. "Come, come, sit so I can do your hair!"

Pidge sighed, but sat in the chair nonetheless.

"So, you and I really haven't had many girl chats," said Pidge. Allura combed her hair gently.

"I guess not. Hmm. What do girls on earth talk about?" She started pulling back small strands of hair.

"Boys, I think. I was never invited to many of the sleepovers and parties that the girls on earth had."