Beautifully Bad Neighbors (Part 2)

"Why didn't you come say hello to me when you got home? Why are you sneaking around? What are you hiding? Katherine if you don't answer me I swear to God, I'll-" a woman was yelling, and Keith flinched at the sound of her voice.

"Maybe if you shut your god damn mouth, I'd be able to speak!" Pidge yelled back.

"Don't raise your voice at your mother!" a man's voice screamed. There was a whimper of pain from Pidge, and a loud thump, directly above where Keith sat. He assumed she fell to the ground. He wanted to run upstairs and help her. He wanted to help her escape from the hellhole she called home. But he didn't want to disobey her, lest she get in more trouble.

"Go to your fucking room! The next time you disrespect your mother, it'll be worse!" the man yelled.

"You know, believe it or not I was heading to my room in the first- let go of my fucking hair- AYE!" Pidge screamed in pain and Keith winced at the sound. Thudding came down the stairs and the door flung open and then slammed shut. Pidge rested her forehead against the door and twisted the lock on the handle, then flipped a second latch on the door, stopping all entrance to the room. She shook with silent sobs against the door, and sank to her knees, her face in her hands.

Keith rushed over to the petite girl and cradled her in his arms. She looked up at him, and he saw a large bruise forming on her left cheekbone, and a welt on her lip.

"I didn't want you to come over," she muttered. "I didn't want you to see this. God. I was so close to maybe making a friend. Fuck."

Keith just held her close to him and cradled her. He pressed a quick kiss to the top of her head when she winced, after he caressed a swollen part of her head.

"You need to call someone about this, Pidge," Keith whispered into her hair.

"Don't you think I've tried?!" she cried. Her makeup was running, and the foundation wore away to reveal more bruises and scars on her face. "My parents tap my phone. I called child protection services, and my parents ruled it off to them as a miss dial."

Keith pulled out his phone and dialed 9-1-1.

"What's your address?" he asked Pidge.

"1430 Greens road."

"9-1-1 what's your emergency?" the operator asked when the phone finished ringing.

"I need an officer at 1430 Greens road. I have evidence of domestic abuse, to extreme extents," Keith explained.

"Yes sir. An officer is on route. Are you in the building with the victim? Or the adversary?"

"I am in the room with the victim. We have locked ourselves in a basement room, and the adversaries are upstairs."

"Confirmed. Please stay on the line. Are you in any immediate danger?"

"No. But my friend has experienced severe head trauma." Pidge was shaking in his arms, and he held her tighter. "Hey Pidge, it's okay. Help is coming. See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Hey, Hun, talk to me. Tell me a story, okay? Stay awake."

Pidge nodded. "What do you want to hear about?"

Keith looked around. His eyes landed on a picture set on Pidge's bookshelf. Two of the face were crossed out, and there was another teenage boy in the picture. He looked almost identical to Pidge, and Keith assumed they were siblings.

"Who's that boy in the picture? Is that your brother?"

Pidge nodded again. "He killed himself last year. I found him dead on the bathroom floor. He had a note in his hand saying he didn't want to put up with our parents bullshit anymore. He had overdosed on my antidepressants. It wasn't fun." Keith felt her tears start to leak into his shirt, and he regretted asking about it.

"Um, what was your idea for our project?" he asked.

"I wanted to maybe... do a study on the planet Kerberos. They were sending some people there soon, and I thought it would be fun..." her eyes started drooping, and Keith started panicking. So he did the only thing he could think of in that moment. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her. Her eyes shot open, only to close once again, as she melted into his arms.

"Don't... fall... asleep," he mumbled between kisses and breaths.

"Okay," Pidge mumbled, and pulled away. "You didn't have to do that. I can keep myself awake for quite a few days at a time." She stood from the ground and started pacing her room. "I'm on my 46th hour of no sleep. I can make it a lot longer. I just have to wander around, and I'll be fine-"

"Katherine! Who are you talk- Why the fuck are the police here!? What did you do you little shit!?" Pidge's mother yelled from upstairs.

"The police are here," Keith said to the phone.

"Stay safe, kids." The dispatcher hung up the phone, just as loud banging came from the front door.

"Police, open up!" someone called from outside.

Pidge ran to her door. She was still a little woozy, so Keith jumped to his feet and helped steady her as the two of them ran to the front door. It swung open to reveal a man in a police uniform, filling out a form on a clipboard.

"Are you the ones that called?" he asked. Both Keith and Pidge nodded. The officer wrote some more on his clipboard and a woman came up to lead the two to the car.

Pidge's parents were dealt with accordingly, and she went to live with Keith and his foster family. Pidge no longer dressed in all black, and she was bought a new pair of boots, ones that weren't covered in duct tape. She wasn't lonely at school, and she, Keith, Lance and Hunk dispelled all the rumors about her that floated around the school. She still listened to MCR, however, 'cause those guys are rad, man.