We're going to figure this out.

"Are you sure about this?" 

"Positive. We're going to figure this out. I promise."

Katie looked up at her friend with a small smile. 

"Okay, do it." She handed him a pair of scissors and faced the mirror. Keith took the scissor to from her and held them open, a long lock of Katie's auburn hair trapped between the blades. Katie squeezed her eyes shut as the sound of the scissors slicing her hair filled the silent room.

When he was done, Keith put the scissors down on the bathroom counter and tapped Katie on the shoulder. While she examined her new hair cut, Keith cleaned up the mess they had made.

"Hello Pidge," Katie said to the mirror. "Nice to meet you." 

Katie brushed the hair from her orange Garrison uniform. Keith held out a hand to her.

"Let's go find our families."

"Keith! We got a dorm together!" Katie jumped around after being given a room key with the same numbers. Room 4-5.

Keith smiled at his small friends enthusiasm. He hugged her- him and quickly righted himself.

"Guys don't hug other guys," he whispered to him as they walked to their dorm.

"Right." The two marched to their dorm in silence after that.

When Keith was expelled from the Garrison, the last thing he said to Pidge was, "We're going to figure this out. I promise."

Keith getting expelled meant someone took his place as a fighter pilot. It also meant Pidge had to share a dorm with the other two boys on her team. This might get hard.

"Who the heck is Pidge Gunderson?" asked her new teammate, upon their first meeting.

"Right here," said Pidge, with more confidence than she believed.

"Welcome to the team, Gunderson. I'm Lance, your fighter pilot," he stuck out his hand, but Pidge didn't accept it. Lance just stared at her awkwardly.

"Hey, I'm Hunk," added in the other boy, clearly trying to alleviate some of the tension between them.

"We got a lot of great times ahead, so we should probably start bonding now. What do you say we sneak out of campus..." Pidge turned her attention from the rambling boy to focus on Iverson, the commander of the school

"Security for the Galaxy Garrison's mainframe is our first priority. It's been breached once. And by a little girl, no less. It can not happen again!" He marched past Pidge and her new teammates. They just saluted as he walked by. "Wrong arm, cadet."

Pidge swiftly swapped arms and sighed as the commander walked away.

"Hello? Pizza? Girls? Astronauts?" Lance said, trying to recapture her attention.

"Sorry, I don't have time to mess around with you guys. See you in the simulator." Pidge brushed past him to her new dorm, planning to unpack and hide her things in a book cubby. Lance didn't seem the type to like reading.

When Pidge found the signal, calling out for Voltron, she knew Keith knew about it too.

"It's Keith!" Lance yelled as they watched the scans for Shiro's release. Pidge knew that Lance and Hunk didn't know that she knew who Keith was. So she had to play dumb.

"Whois Keith?" she asked. 

Arriving in the Castle of Lions was insane. When Pidge and Keith finally got a moment alone, she threw her arms around his neck and cried. He returned her hug with just as much force, if not more.

"Why did you get Shiro back? Where's my family? They should have been together!" Pidge cried into his shoulder.

"I'm leaving team Voltron."

The words barely registered in Keith's mind before he was shouting.

"You can't leave!" he yells. This is his best friend. If anything were to happen to her...

"You can't tell me what to do!" Hearing that response reminded Keith why he fell in love with Pidge in the first place. Her passion for the things she believes in, her willingness to fight for what she wants.

"Pidge, don't worry, we're going to figure this out. I promise." He could have sworn he'd said that before.

Pidge sat silently in her room. Keith was next to her.

"Just let it all out," he said, rubbing small circles on her back. She turned into him and cried. After returning from yet another  unsuccessful trip to find her brother, she had nearly given up hope. 

"What's the point, Keith? I'm never going to find him. Them. I just need to face the facts and taste the rainbow," she said through sniffles. "Some people are lucky enough to find their family after a life changing event, and others aren't."

Keith knew she was referring to him getting Shiro back, the only significant person that Keith would call family.

"Pidge, you know that, we're lucky enough to have found you. To get to call you family." He pulled away to look her in the eye. Her glasses had fogged slightly, an pd her absolutely gigantic eyes shimmered with more unshed tears.

Keith was going to say more, but Pidge grabbed his face and pressed her mouth to his. He moved to return the kiss, but before he could, Pidge pulled away. Too soon for his liking, but she stood up.

"I know. You're right. We're going to figure this out." She left Keith alone in the room.

"I promise," Keith added, even though he knew she was well out of earshot.

———————————————————————————————————————

This was written for 

It was a request for a oneshot. I hope I fulfilled your wishes, and I would love your critiques! Requests are always open, and I'm going to be writing literally all night.

-JollyProbiotics