Hey-o Keith (Part 1)

"Class, pay attention, or I will pick your Pen Pals for you," the teacher snapped, tired of her class's lack of attention for anything. Keith raised his head to look at the teacher.

"Pen Pals? We're in high school!" one student yelled from the back of the classroom.

"I thought we could do something fun, though, to finish off the school year, and to get to know others from neighboring schools. You'll be writing back and forth with them, every other day, for the entire month. Then, on the final day, the class we're writing with will come visit, and you will have to speak with everyone, to find out who you had been writing with," the teacher explained.

Everyone rushed forwards and shoved their hands into a large jar of paper, pulling out one slip each, and returning to their seats.

Keith read his slip of paper, and it stated basic information about the person he would be writing to. Her name was Katie, and she was a year younger than him, had skipped kindergarten, and was now a grade higher than she was supposed to be. He thought about things he could write to her about, and came up with a few ideas.

Hey Katie.

My name is Keith. I heard you were a year younger than everyone else in your grade. That's pretty neat. I'm not really sure what to write about, so I'm going to rant about myself and hope that you can relate at least a little bit.

I like science, and space and stuff like that, and I want to be a spaceship pilot. I've always lived in Texas, and I never met my parents. I lived in foster homes for a while, until I was eventually adopted by a really nice family. They're cool. I mostly spend my spare time playing video games and taking walks. Oh and I like pizza too.

Uh, I'm sixteen, and I've always wanted to go to Italy. I listen to MCR and Hollywood Undead, and my friends say I'm emo.

That's about it, but like, hey. I guess I'll talk to you later. Bye.

Keith.

Feeling confident with his letter, Keith stuck it in the envelope his teacher had dropped onto his desk, and copied the information the teacher had written on the board.

At the end of the class, the teacher collected all of the letters and sent them to the mail room. Keith was genuinely excited for this class two days later.

"Class, we've received letters from another school, and we will be writing them back and forth for the month. We will then be visiting them in four weeks." The teacher wandered around the room, distributing the letters. When Katie received hers, she tore it open, eager to see what her Pen Pal had written to her and who they were.

She read over the letter, and smiled, thinking it was kinda cute the way Keith justified his actions, and what he wrote down.

After re-reading the letter, Katie set to work on writing her own.

Hey-o, Keith!

Okay, first up, it's hilariously adorable the way you justify what you're writing down. And two, you seem pretty cool, I think we'll get along well.

I love science. It's my favourite subject, and I always participate as much as I can whenever we do anything about space. I really want to be an astrophysics engineer when I graduate, too. You probably don't know what that is, most people don't, but that's alright. I'll tell you more about it if you want to learn.

I'm sorry you never got to meet your parents, and I won't pry. I moved here two years ago from Italy. You said you wanted to visit? That would be neat. I could give you a list of all the places you could visit! I have an older brother. He's a dork, and really science-y like me, too.

What video games do you play? I really like horror games, you know, the survival ones that rely on strategy. Where do you go for walks? I've wandered around the whole town, down to the lake and through all the woods, too. I'm looking for somewhere to go that I don't know like the back of my hand.

I really like peanut butter. And peanut butter cookies, but I hate peanuts. They're so dry. Pizza is radical, too, though. I love MCR and Hollywood Undead! I would have to say my favourite songs are Na Na Na, and War Child. or maybe I'm Not Okay.

Most people aren't too happy with the fact that I am a year younger than them and taking AP classes. They all think I'm a loser. That's fine though. I don't really care. Any who, I'm looking forward to getting to meet you at the end of the month. Maybe we could go for a walk or something.

Pidge.

Katie signed the letter, and handed it into the teacher, excited for Keith's reply.