Ghosts (Part 1)

Lance moved into his college dorm, and immediately clicked with the people there. He got along perfectly with his roommate, and they even spent time together outside of their dorm room. Lance had no complaint about his new living conditions, except that someone kept forgetting to clean out the microwave in the kitchenette.

Late one night, Lance was unable to sleep, as his roommate was drunk and kept hiccuping and snoring very loudly. He got up from his bed and threw on a sweater over his bare chest. He padded bare foot into the common rooms and saw a small figure laying on its stomach near the still lit fireplace, a bright laptop on the floor in front of it. Upon closer inspection, Lance noticed that it was a girl, probably a year or two younger than him.

"Hey," he said quietly as he approached her. "I don't think I've seen you around here before. Did you just enroll?"

"No," she sighed. "I've been here for years." She pulled her laptop into her lap and turned her attention to Lance.

"Oh. Sorry, I guess I just haven't noticed you. Sorry." Lance rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, feeling embarrassed. He had made friends with everyone in his dorm. Except this girl apparently. He stuck out his hand and tried to regain his composure.

"The name's McClain. Lance McClain." He smiled at her. She took his hand and muttered, "Pidge" under her breath. her hand was unsettlingly cold, despite her seat next to the fireplace

"Why are you awake?" she asked. She seemed slightly nervous.

"Couldn't sleep. You?" he replied nonchalantly. She shrugged.

"Just reading an article. It's like I'm stuck reading it for all eternity," she half laughed.

Lance pulled the computer from her grasp and read through the article. It was about the tragic and untimely deaths of two college students. The brother had been hit by a car and had died on impact. The other had killed herself.

"Jeez," Lance muttered. "That's harsh." There was an image of the two students on the side of the article. They both had brown hair and amber eyes. The girl had freckles dusting her face, and the other had a light scar running down his cheek, barely visible anymore.

"Katie and Matt Holt? I've heard of them. They lived here before, right?" Lance turned to the girl and his eyes widened in shock. The girl sitting before him looked almost identical to the girl in the picture, save for the short, choppy hair and large, round glasses. He pointed at her, then the picture of the girl, his jaw dropping.

"You- are you..." he shook his head. He looked the girl in the eyes, and noticed that they were clouded over slightly with white, and that her skin was ghostly pale. It made sense, because after putting two and two together, he realized that this girl might just be a ghost.

"I've been trying to figure out how to let lost souls go. I've been stuck here since 2007. I've heard all the stories from everyone in the dorm. Some are close to being right, but some are ridiculously incorrect." Pidge took the laptop back from Lance and scrolled through. "But I'm stuck on this page. It doesn't work when I try to open any other browsers. I just get to look at my brother and the girl I used to be." She sighed, and laid on her back, closing her eyes. Lance noticed that she was hovering above the ground slightly.

"Hell, I don't even care if I get out of here. I just want to let my brother out. You know that room upstairs?"

"The one that's always locked?" Lance inquired. He really wanted to poke her, to see if his hand would pass through her.

"Yeah. That was my brother's room. He's locked in there, and can't get out. Some kind of barrier that traps us to the last place we slept before death. As you can assume, I fell asleep down here, so I'm free to wander the first floor." She floated up a little bit higher, scaring Lance. She patted his shoulder, trying to calm him down. Lance was surprised when her hand didn't pass into him, though a large shiver was sent through him.

"I can- I can t-try to help you out," Lance offered. Cringing internally at his stuttering, he sighed.

"I'm not gonna hurt you," Pidge said, easing Lance's fear slightly. "I'm not a vengeful spirit. Just a sad one," she chuckled slightly.

"Right. So do you want m-my help? I have a computer that isn't possessed to one page." He stood, followed by Pidge. Well, she more floated in an upright position.

"That would be great!" she squealed. Lance quickly ran up the stairs, and Pidge waited at the base for him to return.