Grief: Bargaining (Part 3)

Pidge sat on her stairs, waiting. All she could do was come up with excuses and reasons why they should let her stay where she was. She had already packed all her belongings, but she wasn't ready to leave yet. This was where she grew up, where she had built all her most treasured memories.

The knock on her front door scared her out of her thoughts, and she curled into a ball.

"Katie, we have to come in now, okay?" Shiro's soft voice came through the door. She cursed her dad for telling him where the spare key was. The door creaked open slowly, and Pidge looked up to him with tear stained cheeks. Keith came through the door behind him, and he grabbed Pidge's bag from the floor. He tossed it over his shoulder.

"Please, Shiro, just let me stay here. Please!?" she cried. "I have a job, I can sustain myself. I can pay the bills, I can get housework done. Please? I'll do anything. Please don't make me leave, Shiro. I don't want to go!"

"Katie, please. You're fifteen. I can't let you do that. Come on, please. We have to go. They need us out of here in an hour. I'm sorry." He gave her a pleading look, and she sighed. She shook her head, however, and held tight to the railing.

"I'm not moving. And you can't make me."

Shiro sighed and took the bag from Keith, going to load it into his car. Keith shuffles up the few stairs and wraps his arm around Pidge in a side hug. She snuggled her face into his side and shook with silent sobs.

"It hurts. Everything hurts."

"Shh, I know." He caressed her hair and tried to sooth her, but to no avail. "It's okay. It'll get better. It will all get better."

He kept his arm steady around her back and slipped his other arm under her knees. He lifted her from the ground, with next to no disagreements from her, and carried the still crying girl to their car.

When they arrived at their house, Keith carried Pidge inside, and showed off her new room. She didn't pay attention to anything he said, only curling up into a ball, and tucking herself into the corner of the bed, hiding in Keith's hoodie. Keith looked at her with a sad expression and crawled onto the bed next to her. He lifted her hood and pulled her into his lap.

"Please, take me back. I need to stay at my house. Please." She muttered the word 'please' over and over, until she eventually fell asleep leaning against Keith's chest.