Privileged Royals (Part 1)

"Announcing the arrival of Lady Allura and Lord Lance of Altea." The announcer hollered over the table as the two siblings from the Altea royal family entered the room.

Keith slumped his chin in his hands. His brothers Lotor and Shiro seemed much more pleased at their arrival than Keith was. The Handmaiden and the Valet stood to the side of the room, clearly conversing through facial expressions. The Handmaiden had to hold in her laughter, and attempted to catch a glance at Lotor indiscreetly, only trying harder not to laugh at the sight of his hair. Keith had to hold in his laughter as well, for his brother's plait was painfully dramatic.

The dinner lasted too long for Keith's taste. He really just wanted to introduce himself to the Handmaiden. She was quite cute.

At the end of the dinner, Allura and Lance requested an audience with the three brothers of the Galra Empire.

"Lady Allura, a pleasure to meet you." Shiro bowed, retrieving her hand to plant a kiss upon it.

Allura giggled. "The pleasure is mine, Prince Shiro. This, as I'm sure you know, is my younger brother, Lance. His Valet, Hunk, and my Maidservant, Katherine. Should you ever find you need anything, she will be there to aid you. Even if you should need companionship."

Katherine looked like she wanted to protest, but when she opened her mouth, the princess turned and slapped her across the face.

"Do not speak out of turn," she scolded.

"She said nothing!" Keith was shocked.

"Keith, we do not speak to the kind princess in such a manner. Though I might take up your offer for the Maidservants company," Lotor said. The Handmaiden clearly shuddered and looked away.

The five of them conversed with each other, Lance and Allura eventually dismissing Katherine and Hunk from their sides. The two stood side by side near the door, quietly laughing and joking around.

Katherine ran her fingers through her hair and pulled her bangs over her eye. She said something that Keith couldn't hear and it caused both her and Hunk to laugh loudly. Lance and Allura turned around, Lance smiling slightly at his Valet, and Allura's glare shooting daggers at her Handmaiden. Katherine looked at the ground and folded her hands in front of her.

Keith could tell the two had issues with each other.

Later that night, Keith prepared himself for bed. He brushed his teeth and prepared to put on his nightclothes

A knock on his door startled him and turned his attention away from his nightclothes. Katherine stood in the doorway.

"Oh, my apologies, Prince Keith. I was- it was requested of me to visit Prince Lotor. His room must be in the next hallway."

She looked at the ground, shuddering when speaking Lotor's name. Keith felt a horrid grumble in the base of his stomach. He knew he had to help this girl.

"Actually, would you like to stay here, with me in place of my brother?"

Katherine looked up and her eyes widened, in both surprise and fear.

"Not like that!" Keith waved his hands to dismiss her thought.

"You mean... I won't have to reside with Lotor for the evening?" She wrung her hands and stood awkwardly in the doorway.

"That is exactly what I mean. With no action to make you feel, in any way, uncomfortable. Only as equals, friends, even," Keith said. He stuck out his hand and she slowly took it, most likely expecting only a handshake.

"Please, be yourself. I saw you laughing with the Valet. You needn't be timid," he said, pulling her into him. She placed her hands on his chest in an attempt to save both of them the collision. It only made Keith blush as he realized that he had managed to place his hands around Katherine's waist.

She pulled away, her face a bright shade of red, and started laughing.

The two ended up sitting cross legged on Keith's bed, and laughing about anything they could think of; Lotor's hair, Allura's personality and their shared demanding natures, everything.

"My, Prince Keith, you're quite humorous. Thank you for this opportunity." She laughed.

"Please, Miss Katherine, call me Keith." He smiled kindly.

"Well, in that case, Keith, please call me Pidge."

Keith had the best night with Pidge, but when she fell asleep Keith left his room and went to get himself a blanket, after he had insisted that she make herself comfortable.

He was about to walk around a corner when he overheard Lotor complaining to Allura. He didn't expect the two of them to be awake this late at night.

"Your Maidservant failed to visit me, Princess," said Lotor.

"My deepest apologies. I shall certainly be speaking to her about her lack of compliance." 

Keith ran back to his room, not bothering to get his blanket.

He laid down next to Pidge, and watched his door, making sure no one came in to look for her.