Chapter 20: Falling To Pieces

-Emily's POV-

The next day I went to Anthony's house.
"Jack told me what happened. I even stood up to him and told him he was wrong and stuff." I said.
"I'm never talking to him again." He said.
"I don't blame you."
Right then the front door swung open. It was his dad...and we were right there in plain sight in the living room. He walked right past us into the kitchen.
"Anthony I told you to make dinner which I see you haven't done. Ugh you are so fucking useless!" He yelled.
"You never told me to." Anthony said. He should have just kept quiet.
"Don't you ever talk back to me." He came over and slapped Anthony.
"Now I was nervous. I didn't want this to get bad.
"All I said was that you never told me to make dinner which you didn't. I did nothing wrong."
Why does he do this to himself?! His dad pushed him into the wall that I was leaning up against. He punched and hit him. Then all of a sudden he turned to me with a disgusted look like he had just realized I had been there.
"Don't you ever say a word to anyone about this you little fucking bitch!" He said to me.
I nodded quickly unable to process words. I was crying. I was terrified. I felt so bad for Anthony. His dad threw a lamp at the wall in anger and the tiny broken pieces of glass fell around us. The abuse lasted a little longer until finally he got tired and went up to his room to sleep. I didn't know what to say. I was sitting on the ground against the wall with my legs out in front of me. I looked down at my white converse sneakers. Tears were still rolling down my face. I scooted closer to Anthony. I looked at him, he was covered in blood, tears, and bruises. My heart was now broken. I put my arm around him. He was shaking but I sort of was too. Neither of us said anything. Silence.Pain.Guilt.
"I'm sorry.That you had to witness that happening." He said finally.
"I'm sorry you had to go through it. Are you ok?"
"Yeah."
"No.Are you really ok?" I asked.
He waited a moment. "No." He said quietly.
"It's going to be ok."
"No.It's not.I'm trapped here. I hate being home and I hate being at school."
"One day all of this will end."
"One day."
I wiped mascara from my face. We got up and went to his room. I'm pretty sure his dad was passed out in his room. I sat on Anthony's bed since he was in the bathroom. Why do the best people have the worst lives.? He came back.
"Did you just throw up?"
"Yeah.. That happens sometimes when I get stressed out." He said.
He was a mess. But so was I. He got in bed next to me.
"If you weren't here right now... I would have.. Never mind." He said.
"Cut?"
"Yeah." He said slowly.
"Well then i'm glad i'm here."
"I am too."
"Can I tell you something?"
"Of course."
"I get scared almost every night, that someone is going to break in and try to kill me like... Like my parents. But.. When i'm with you I feel safe."
"Good." " Oh yeah andI have a question."
"What?"
"Don't you have two brothers? Like I follow them on Instagram but I have never seen them."
"Yeah, Julian and Giovanni... They live with my older sister in NewYork. She always thought there was something wrong about my dad. But he's not her dad because my mom had her with some other guy. But she has kids of her own now and my brothers wanted to live with her to help with her kids."

A little while later after talking some more, we fell asleep. It was just me and him. And that's how I wanted it to be forever.