The Return

Mount Jun Ji

Reaching Mount Junji in under an hour, Lian Song quickly headed for the small cabin. From the entrance point, it was a good ten minute walk away, and though it was owned by the Celestial Tribe, it still fell within the rules governing Mortals in that no magic could be used unless absolutely necessary and that was because it vibrated at a much lower frequency than the Higher Immortal Realms. Using ones energy would not only notify the Heavens of its use, but it could also notify any passing Mortals of ones presence, seeing as they could access the land if they really wanted to.

So going by foot, his eyes scanned the surrounding forests for her energy or any movement as all. There were a few birds in the trees and now and then a butterfly would pass by, but other than that, there did not seem to be anyone or anything of interest. She may have been very small in her beast form, but he should have been able to at least feel her energy, but by the time he reached the cabin, he realized she wasn't there.

Had she been caught? he wondered. This he didn't think so, because she would absolutely have been with them when they returned. His father would never allow himself to be attacked and nor would he allow her to get away with it either. If anything, he would absolutely have taken her prisoner rather than have her outright killed, because he would want her to suffer first.

This was the kind of man he was. If she really had stung him, and he truly believed she had, then not only was her life now in danger, but he blamed himself. He should have stopped her, he thought angrily as he climbed the steps to the house.

He didn't have to enter the house to know they had been there, because his fathers essence was still very strong and with it came her essence. In beast form, ones essence is usually much stronger than human form, though it is far easier to hide. But her lingering essence was still very strong and it was definitely her beast energy he could feel which caused great concern.

Because not only had she lost her sting, she would now be weak until a new one grew back. The venom she possessed was created by her cultivation, and the higher it was, the more deadlier it became. However, she was not one to dedicate herself to cultivating, so he didn't think her venom was that deadly, but it was the only form of real protection that she had. And now she had lost it. Which meant she would not be able to protect herself against anyone, least of all his father.

Entering the house, his eyes and ears honed in on every single vibration as he moved from one end of a room to the other before entering the next one and the further in he went, the stronger her lingering scent became and with it an increase of a third vibration. It was an energy he did not immediately recognize, but one thing that became clearer the closer to the bed chamber he got, it did not belong to her or his father. But the moment he entered, not only did the third vibration become stronger, but there was a definite scent and feel of dark energy to it.

Stunned and unsure of what it could mean, he backed out of the room slowly only to suddenly be knocked of his feet. Flying into a wall, he hit the teak wood with a sickening thud and as the dark energy began to throb and crackle all around him, a rush of movement registered before he lost consciousness.

___

Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms

Arriving back from a trip to the Mortal Realm, Zhe Yan finally found who he was looking for. For one full Mortal week, he had searched every known hideaway and bar the boy visited or stayed at, but he eventually found him at home lost to his thoughts and aimlessly throwing small pieces of bread at his goldfish.

"Zhen Zhen, you're late. I've been looking for you everywhere." his soft voice broke the silence and forcing the boy to his feet in an excited rush.