Instability

Entering the Kitchen, Ye Hua glanced briefly into the large pot where a vegetable soup was slowly simmering.  It was an adequate meal considering he had left most of their supplies behind.  But seeing the amount of vegetables going into the soup, he was more than happy with it.  And with the rice, which they had more than enough of, he began to look forward to shared meal which offered a little normality, even if it was fleeting.

"Su Su and the child are well?" Ci Hang asked as Ye Hua picked up a knife to help him.

"Yes.  He is feeding well but Su Su needs to eat more.  She barely eats as it is." he said as the diced onions were thrown into the pot.

"So do you.  You have lost weight and regardless of your cultivation, your body is a temple.  Respect it, and nourish it." his Shifu said firmly and very much in the Shifu role.

Glancing down at himself, Ye Hua didn't think he had lost weight, in fact, physically he felt well, but seeing as his Shifu said exactly what he saw, then he took it as a given and nodded his head in agreement.

Glancing at him briefly, Ci Hang turned his attention to the beans and sprouts which were deftly diced in seconds.

"Have you thought of a name for the child yet?" he asked as the carrots were dragged towards himself.

A name had begun to take hold in the back of his mind, but having yet to discuss it with Su Su, he had not mentioned it.  But as he pondered on whether he should, Ci Hang lay the knife down gently on the bench top.

"A childs name is his crowning glory, if you have a name, then perhaps I can assist." he said turning towards him as Ye Hua also lay his knife down.

"Su Su, is really Si Yin and a Disciple of High God Mo Yuan.  Under him, she learned many things including Taoism which I have heard her quote on many occasions.  But on every occasion, our child has reacted to it." he said as Ci Hangs brows raised a little.

"How?" he asked.

"The first time, I thought I felt fear coming from him while he was in Su Sus womb.  Only as the quotes continued, my son began to calm down and his energy began to throb within her.  Sometimes he would reach out towards me, though the first time he did that, I thought he was perhaps scared.  But what I came to realize, was his energy was trying to calm me." he replied.

"Interesting." Ci Hang nodded.  Ye Hua didn't know it, but his energy too would reach out to those around him when he was still in the womb.

"So, what name have you chosen?" he pushed a little firmly.

"Because of the link Su Su has to Taoist teachings and because our sons energy is powerful enough to want to reach out whenever she speaks from her memories, I thought of 兒李.

"From the great philosopher Lao Tzu and the founder of Taoism?" he asked a little stunned.

"Yes.  'Er Li' is taken directly from his personal name Li Er and means a Child of Great Power." he said before lowering his eyes in embarrassment having thought the look his Shifu was giving him was one of astonishment as his audacity.  However, this was not what he was thinking at all.  If anything, he thought the name was appropriate and not because he himself was a teacher of Taoism.

But because the child was already showing signs of quiet wisdom, but also strength and fortitude in the face of fear.  And it also seemed as if Ye Hua had been thinking of this name for some time, because the name Li also had the meaning of the Plum Tree which symbolized perseverance and hope.

"Er Li." he said tasting the name on his tongue.  "It is a good name and a strong one.  I am in agreement." he said with a small smile before the mother came to mind.