Paying Debts

Making their way towards a part of the Celestial Heavens that one rarely visited for pleasure, Bai Zhis lips were sealed firmly in determination.  He had not discussed with his wife what he had in mind, and nor was it really proper, but he knew the laws of the Celestial Heavens more than any of them having faced the lightening bolts once in his youth for a lesser crime than what Cheng Yu committed.   But that she protected his daughter and assisted with the care of his grandson, then as far as he was concerned, the foxes owed her a life debt which he was about to pay.

And knowing his wife would not interfere once he had reached a decision, he did not stop to address the many deities they passed along the way, many of whom were still coming to terms with Ye Huas so called resurrection from the dead, only to learn that he had abandoned his post for his own wife.  

Instead they quietly made their way into the forecourt of a Palace that really didn't match the man who owned it.  Lord Pua was a quiet man, unassuming, private and rarely seen among the rest of them.  Though when he did appear, they all knew that something of importance was happening, and as they were shown into his parlour which was lavishly decorated with all manner of gold fittings, silk curtains, plush llama wool rugs and marbled floors, neither could hide their amazement for the obscene luxury considering the man was as humble as they came when out in public.

"Well this is a surprise.  To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit Emperor Bai, Empress Bai?"  the man himself asked nodding his head in welcome.  Having been informed of their arrival, and seeing as he rarely had visitors, his interest was more than peaked when informed by his young guard that he did not know who they were.  

But the mention of their names, soon had the boys eyes popping and his head reverently bowing while quickly leaving them with his master to inform the rest of the guards who had arrived.    

 Bai Zhis name was known the world over and just as revered as Haode and he was counting on it for what he had in mind.  So he did not waste time on small talk or polite greetings.

"We have come for Cheng Yu." he said without further ado, which had Lord Pua quickly ushering them into his study and behind a barrier should any ears be listening having noted the way the guard had reacted to their presence.

"How can I help." he asked now that they were seated around the fire on soft cushions rather than at the large teak desk that other visitors would have been led to.

"As you are aware, she committed a crime that of course should be dealt to appropriately.  However it was not intentional, and nor would she have dared to hurt Haode let alone think to.  We are here to save her life due to the unusual circumstances that we have found ourselves in." Bai Zhi explained as The Empress remained quiet while waiting for the bombshell to hit.

"Yes that is correct.  Unfortunately, I do not see how you can help her.  What she did demands lightening bolts at the very least so my hands are tied." he replied and though he had already determined her punishment, he was prepared to hear them out, because like most of the Celestials, he genuinely liked her so had spent hours upon hours trying to come up with a way to save her, but as yet, he couldn't even manage a lessening of the lightening bolts because they were already set in stone for the crime she committed.

"What I am about to propose may seem rather unorthodox,  but I am no ordinary man in this world and nor am I a vain man, but my position does afford me some protection under your laws and in turn protects my children." he said before stopping to see if the man had any idea where he was going, but the blank look soon had him continuing.

"The Celestial Heavens owe the Fox Clan many debts which have been incurred over thousands of years right back to when my father ruled, yet not once have we ever sought to claim them.  I am here today to claim them all now." He said as his eyes hardened and Lord Pua shifted uncomfortably.