2

***

"This is... just weird."

My roommate Celine had just returned from visiting her grandparents in the countryside. She had found me in my most awful state, crumbled on my bed, my eyes puffy and weary from all the crying.

Right now, she was sitting in a chair beside my bed, reading and re-reading the creased piece of paper I had handed her almost half an hour ago.

"I mean, just... so weird." She repeated, biting her lower lip, giving me a concerned look. I didn't know what else to say either.

"I swear, a week ago I sat beside you guys while you cuddled on the sofa. You were all lovey-dovey, pink cartoon hearts were about to pop up from your heads."

I gulped at the happy memory that was now making me upset, averting my gaze towards the window in an attempt not to start crying. Again.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. It's just hard for me to process."

Yeah, tell me about it.

"This isn't the kind of thing a person does spontaneously. He must've been thinking about doing it for some time, at least." Celine sighed, putting the paper on my nightstand again. "Are you absolutely sure you two didn't fight, or have, like, some argument-"

"Yes." I interrupted her, in a hoarse voice I hardly recognized as mine. "Jungkook and I hardly fought, you know that, Celine. Do you honestly think I haven't replayed every conversation I had ever had with him over the past few days, even months? Searching, wondering, trashing the corners of my mind for any sort of reason he would do this to me. I've tormented myself almost non-stop for every little thing I've said or done that could have led to him making that sort of decision. But..." My voice broke as the tears flooded my eyes once again. "I just can't find one."

Celine pulled me in for a tight hug and her warm embrace only made me even more upset. I clenched onto her back like she was a life-saving jacket and buried my face in her shoulder.

"Every break-up's hard, Y/N." My friend patted me on the back lovingly before pulling away to face me. She handed me over a tissue and waited patiently for me to wipe my tears.

"But something about this is bugging me. Did you try contacting Jungkook? Did you call him, or..."

I bop my head into a nod and ran my fingers through my hair.

"That's the first thing I did. His phone's turned off. I've been calling him for the past two days. Straight to voicemail, every single time. I even went up to his place, not caring how pathetic it would make me look. I was so desperate and angry, after two years of dating he could at least give me an explanation..."

"And?" Celine raised her perfectly sculptured eyebrow.

"Nothing." I replied blankly. "No one answered. I don't think he was there. His car was gone. I passed by in my car once or twice again. Not even the lights were on. It was like he just..."

"... disappeared into thin air." Celine finished my sentence for me and I nodded enthusiastically.

"Exactly. Like he... evaporated."

Celine pinched the root of her nose and wrinkled her forehead as if she was into deep thought. Then she stood up and took a few steps in my bedroom with a pensive face, as if she was a detective putting together the pieces of a complicated case.

Very complicated, indeed.

"Okay, but let's think really hard for a moment here. I don't know about you, Y/N, but to me this letter," she pointed towards the pitiful paper, creased and slightly wet from my tears, "doesn't look like an ordinary break-up letter. There's no way a person would put in so much thought and emotion in sending a letter to someone they want to dump."

My mind, previously clouded with sadness and confusion, slowly started to clarify. I sat up straighter in my bed, listening to Celine's reflections.

"And if he just wanted a way out of this relationship – why not simply talk to you? It would be an unpleasant talk, but it's wouldn't be the end of the world. I never pictured Jungkook as so afraid of confrontation to even skip town instead of breaking up with someone."

"Me neither." I mumbled quietly, my thoughts racing through my head.

"Moreover, in here," Celine continued and grabbed the letter in her long, slender fingers, "He's talking about how painful it is for him to end this. He's regretting this, Y/N. These words just scream sorrow and sadness. Even I can feel it, and I didn't even know Jungkook that well."

"What are you trying to say?" I asked my roommate, holding my breath in. She settled down her elegant figure on the chair again and sighed.

"I'm saying that there's something wrong. I don't know, I can just feel it." She emphasized the last words and I gulped. Celine was extra intuitive and I knew I had to listen to her instincts. "There is something bigger behind this letter but I just can't pick up what it is.

Both of us sat in silence for some moments, deep in thought. I had to admit it, she was right. This was so not like Jungkook.

At that moment I felt so glad that I had a friend like Celine next to me. Suddenly the brunette spoke up, jumping in her seat.

"You know who could be useful right now?" She grabbed my hand. "Kim Taehyung."

"Taehyung?"

"Yeah. Weren't he and Jungkook, like, super close? I thought they had grown up together."

Yes, Taehyung was Jungkook's closest friend. But ironically, I had never talked to him much, except on a couple of occasions when we went out with Jungkook's friends. I supposed he kept his distance because he didn't like me much, or maybe I was just making assumptions. He was never the talkative type, not with me at least.

"I guess..." I shrugged my shoulders.

"You should call him." Celine offered, noticing the hesitation in my eyes. "How bad do you want to find Jungkook?"

"Really bad."

She handed me over the phone.

"Then you know what to do."

Author's note:

Hey guys, thank you so much for giving my story a try.

A little disclaimer before you proceed. Since I've noticed some people assume this, I feel like I need to clarify something:

Jungkook isn't dying.

He doesn't have cancer and he isn't dead. He's very much alive but since the whole plot revolves around his disappearance, you'll have to keep reading in order to find out what has really happened to him. :)

Enjoy! 💜 And please don't be a ghost reader, I love seeing readers' comments!