33

"My greatest lesson learnt - you were mine until you weren't."

***

***

"My name is Kim Namjoon."

The stranger stretched out his arm for a handshake, his long fingers curled and uncurled, urging me to take his hand. With my mind in a state of a transitory stupor, I slowly realized it'd been some seconds since his hand had been hanging awkwardly in the air.

I cleared my throat nervously.

"Nice to meet you, but I have an event I have to get going to." I mumbled awkwardly and he retracted his arm back in his pocket with a genuinely disappointed look on his face. "Excuse me."

"That's too bad. I really wanted to talk to you about something." His eyebrows dipped slightly. Two dimples graced his cheeks as his deep hazel eyes gazed at me. "I'm sure your event could wait."

"Actually, it can't." I shot him a feigned apologetic smile, making another attempt to walk away.

"Okay, Y/N." He clicked his tongue and took a step toward me. "I tried asking nicely. But I really have to talk to you." He flashed me a friendly smile whereas the way his towering figure stood in front of me in an almost statuesque manner kind of intimidated me. It was very confusing.

His obvious insistence suddenly made me feel jittery. A restless knot of uneasiness formed in my upper abdomen. It was clear to me he had impeccable manners but at the same time he was pushing me and I didn't like it.

"I'm not taking "no" for an answer." He added and his tone implied that he's not letting me go anywhere. I had never seen Jungkook's cousin, let alone talk to him. Currently, Namjoon standing right in front of me raised numerous questions in my head. What was he doing here? Didn't he live in America? Why is he back?

What does he want from me?

He didn't seem like he wanted to hurt me, or so I hoped. At least not in front of all these people on the street.

Is he here to talk with me because Jungkook told him so, just like Hoseok? I was cautious to make any assumptions yet.

As I was having an internal conflict about what to do, my curiosity took the best of me. My eyes shot to the watch on my wrist.

"I have about fifteen minutes." I grumbled with a dissatisfied sigh.

"Great, works for me." Namjoon grinned and gestured toward the tiny coffee shop right on the corner of the street that we were standing in. "Mind if we talk over coffee?"

I simply nodded in agreement and started walking next to him, picking up my pace to keep up with his wide strides which, given his height, were a lot bigger than mine.

Namjoon opened the door for me and I was welcomed by the warm scent of cinnamon and vanilla. We both kept walking in complete silence towards the bar before sitting down on two stools.