41

"Loving you is harder than breathing underwater."

***

***

"Come with me to America, Y/N. Let's run away."

Words left me.

As the quietness grew deeper I could almost hear the sound of Jungkook's heart.

My whole body tensed against the shaking of my limbs as the thick silence engulfed us, laying on us like a dense mist.

I struggled to find some words to fill the void between us that was growing wider and wider with every second that passed.

"Jungkook, I..." my hesitation getting the better of me, I stopped. What was I even going to say? My mind was completely blank, like a white piece of paper.

Unsteadily, he withdrew his hands from my face, his arms falling to his sides.

My mouth remained closed, not whispering the words of confirmation he probably expected and craved.

His pupils dilated, his chest deflated in a heavy exhale. I averted my gaze, not able to look him in the eyes.

His orbs desperately searched for mine, waiting.

"Y/N, come with me," he repeated, choking on his words.

Cautiously, I picked my gaze from the ground.

"Jungkook, I can't," I said quietly. In my mind, my voice sounded like glass shattering the silence that hung in the air around us. "I can't do that. I'm sorry."

Jungkook's deep doe eyes widened, the muscles of his chin visibly started to tremble. I felt excruciating pain at the sight, like my insides were being torn apart.

"I suppose I really am too late," he whispered. "You already hate me."

I gulped down a sob, taking his hand in between my palms. "I could never hate you." A single tear appeared at the corner of my eye and I simply let it fall on my cheek.

"But you don't love me either," he said darkly. "Otherwise you'd come with me."

I shook my head, the words stuck in my throat. Why was this so hard? I had to be honest with him. I had to be honest with myself too. I owed that to both of us.

"Jungkook, I'll always love you," a stifled whimper made its way up my throat. I had always thought people saying that was a cliché until I had to say it myself. "I'll never stop caring about you. You'll always have a special place in my heart."

I looked down and nibbled on my lower lip nervously, doing my best to pick my words carefully.

"But I fell in love with Taehyung. It was something that happened out of my control," with each whisper, both of our hearts broke even more. I glanced up at the window of the hospital room Taehyung was lying in. "That's why I can't do what you're asking of me. I can't leave him behind."