28

"did we light too many matches,

turn ourselves into these ashes,

did we throw it all away?"

***

I stare in bewilderment at my fingers entangled with Jungkook's, as though they aren't my own. The adrenaline rush from the car chase minutes ago has slowly washed away and apparently I've entered into a stuporous daze.

Sheepishly following Jungkook's slouching form that leads me through the dark and uneven footpath through the trees, I look around anxiously, scanning our surroundings for anything resembling a human form.

I still can't shake off the feeling of someone following us.

With my brain focused on searching for potential danger, my attention slowly shifts to Jungkook letting go of my hand to unlock the old and rusty lock of the cabin. The door opens slowly with an eery screech that makes the blood in my veins freeze.

"Welcome," Jungkook says dryly and turns the lights on. The scent of wood and dust in the air penetrates my nostrils as I hesitantly step inside.

The place looks like no one has been living in it for years. The walls have probably been painted white once upon a time, but now they're plastered with numerous dark stains. The air feels heavy and thick, almost like the house hasn't been ventilated in quite some time. All of the old-fashioned furniture's covered in a thick layer of dust that has perhaps been there for years.

"Hoseok's family owns it," Jungkook explains bitterly just as I'm about to ask him what this place is. "He offered it to me as a place to stay when I told him I was planning on... coming back."

He gulps loudly before pronouncing those last words, his voice disappearing towards the end of the sentence. He stumps along towards one of the wooden chairs in the middle of the room, plopping his body on it exhaustedly.

My eyes dart to him and his heaving chest. I can't help but notice his heavy breathing and the couple drops of sweat on his forehead.

"Jungkook, your wound." I rush toward him breathlessly, kneeling in front of his body so that I can take a better look at the skin under the bloody spot on his T-shirt.

"It's nothing." He mumbles and yanks his shoulder away from my hands, not even looking me in the eyes. I'm suddenly washed over by a thought that seems somehow familiar; once again, Jungkook's closing off to me while I'm trying to help him. A painful ache tugs at my heart.

"No. Let me take care of that." I reach my arm to touch him again very carefully like I'm trying to pet a scared puppy.

This time he doesn't move and slightly sucks on his teeth while I pull up his sleeve to uncover the injured area right below his right shoulder. It isn't too deep, like he said, the bullet barely touched his skin, but it seems to be enough to cause him pain.