40

"Just because you're ready to let go of your past, it doesn't mean your past is ready to let go of you."

***

***

I stumbled on my own two feet as I rounded the corner. After the cream bleached hospital walls, I appreciated even more the gold and pink streaks the rising sun illuminated the sky in. A scent of morning freshness infiltrated my nostrils as I inhaled deeply.

It wasn't hard to spot Jungkook, given it was early morning and all the park benches were empty. He was sitting on one of them not too far from the building, his back turned to me.

"Hey," I patted his shoulder, making him turn around to look at me. I didn't want to startle him, even though I supposed he had heard my steps on the damp grass.

"Hey," he made space for me to sit next to him on the bench, offering me an inviting nod. I sat down, my chest tightened. We both stared into the horizon for a couple of seconds when Jungkook broke the silence. "How is he?"

"Still unconscious," I sighed and glanced down at my hands, intentionally avoiding his eyes. "But the doctors said that he was stable and that he'd wake up any minute now. He'll be okay."

I raised my head to look at him. His eyes hardened, he observed me wordlessly.

"How- how did you guys find us?" Feeling oddly uncomfortable, I decided to change the topic. Something in me told me it caused Jungkook pain to dwell on the thought that Taehyung was injured. Logically, it wasn't directly his fault that his father's men had captured us, but I could instinctively sense he somehow blamed it on himself.

Otherwise, he wouldn't be here with me.

He rested his back on the bench and exhaled heavily, his warm breath brushing on my skin. "I followed you all the way to Taehyung's graduation. After the way we left things between us the other night, I wanted to talk with you, to convince you I wasn't the terrible person you think I am, Y/N. I'm still the Jungkook you knew and loved. I'm still your Jungkook," eyebrows dipped slightly, his deep doe eyes traced my skin. A dull ache tugged at my heart.

"Then, when I got there, I realized I was already too late. I saw you there, in his arms, the arms that I had unknowingly pushed you in. You were smiling so brightly, looking at him with so much... affection. His hands wrapped around your body, he held you tight. Taehyung held my whole world in his arms," Jungkook's voice wavered as his eyes glimmered against the sun. White-knuckled, his hands clutched at the edge of the bench.

I gasped, covering my mouth with my palm. "Jungkook..."

Looking at his face, there was a rawness and vulnerability to it. Brick by brick, his walls started falling down. "I felt like my whole life crumbled at my fingertips," he mumbled, face wrinkling in agony. "There I was, standing in a crowd, watching the girl I love, fall in love with someone else. And I could do absolutely nothing about it," he looked me straight in the eyes, his orbs an endless depth of pain. "And when he kissed you... I couldn't take it anymore. It killed me."