5

flashback

flashback

"I'm so sorry, I was such a jerk." Jungkook looks at me with puppy eyes and an apologetic smile on his face.

"I hate it when we fight." I sigh, already surrendered to his deep doe eyes. We had had our first major fight.

Jungkook bops his head into a nod.

"So do I." He presses his lips in a thin line. "I apologize for letting something so petty come in between us. I'll never do it again."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

I dive into his embrace as he gives me a deep, passionate kiss.

I am whole again.

***

"Care to explain what's going on?" Celine swooshes up to me the second I get into our apartment, a slight frown on her face.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, taken aback.

"Taehyung's here. He came looking for you half an hour ago," my friend hisses and I raise my eyebrows so high that they almost go to the back of my head. "I told him you had a late lecture and he asked me if he could wait for you here."

"What did you say?" I whisper back at her as I take off my shoes.

"What do you think?! I obviously didn't tell him to leave, he's still in the living room!" Celine whisper-yells at me nervously. "It's been half an hour and we've already run out of things to talk about. We discussed the weather twice."

I hurry towards the living room, my heart picking up its pace. I felt weird seeing Taehyung after the other day when I almost stormed out of his house crying, while he and his cousin Yoongi watched me leave with confused looks on their faces.

I didn't want to bother him with my problems anymore so I didn't call him after that. After all, the boy's already done enough for me. I felt uncomfortable meeting him again.

But right now, he was at my place. Maybe he has some news for me?

Maybe Yoongi dug into it some more and finally found something that could help us in our search for Jungkook?

With a glimpse of new hope on my mind, I enter the living room and see Taehyung sitting on the sofa awkwardly, his hands on his knees and his eyes staring at the ground in front of him. When he sees me come in, he stands up and gives me a weak smile.

"Hi." He greets me with a bit of shyness in his voice, his right hand tapping on his thigh with his long, slender fingers.

"Hey, what's up." I try to greet him warmly, but I feel the tone of my voice comes out flat and tuneless.

I feel Celine's eyes jump back and forth from me to Taehyung.

"I'll be in my room." She announces at last and closes the door behind her.

Taehyung plays with the edges of his shirt, squeezing them in his fingers and sucks on his teeth. He clears his throat nervously.

"I'm sorry for coming here so suddenly and unannounced." He utters.

"Not at all." I reply and plop on the sofa, gesturing towards him to sit down too. "So, what's up?" I shift my body to face his and cross my legs as an attempt to look casual.

"I saw how upset you got the other day." He admits with a genuine look of concern on his face. "Are you okay?"

"Mmhm." I nod still pretending to be fine. "No need to worry about me. I'm sorry if I've caused you any inconvenience."

"You haven't, really, so please just stop apologizing." Taehyung glances at me.

"It's just..." I sigh, not being able to express my thoughts.

"... I'm Jungkook's best friend and we haven't really talked before so you feel weird." The light brown-haired boy finishes my sentence for me and I bop my head into a nod. We both sigh at the same time. I was relieved to be able to talk to him openly.

"And I'm... I'm really having a hard time with this situation, you know. It's just so weird." I try to brush off how miserable and hopeless I've been feeling the past few weeks.

Taehyung scratches the back of his neck anxiously and bites his lower lip.

"I understand where you're coming from and to be honest I'm starting to freak out a little bit. Jungkook might be unpredictable, but a long-term hiatus from all the people in his life isn't something he would do so light-headedly. I've known him all my life. I thought so much about it," he frowns and the skin of his forehead wrinkles a little bit. "But I just can't find a logical explanation. So actually this is what I wanted to talk about with you, the reason I came by."

He pauses and I give him an expecting look, my stomach tying in an anxious knot.

"I had completely forgotten about it, but Jungkook showed me where he keeps a spare key of his apartment." Taehyung lets out. "Just in case."

I jump immediately in my seat and grab him by the sleeve.

"You're saying we can break into Jungkook's apartment?" I ask and Taehyung knits his eyebrows.

"It's not really breaking in if we have a key." He clarifies and takes a deep breath in. "At first I thought it's wrong, but after Yoongi gave us little to no information as to if Jungkook's okay, I finally decided that maybe we can find something there. I mean, what if he's just at home, laying low for some reason?"

This assumption gave me an awful feeling in my upper abdomen for some reason.

What if we find something horrible in there, I think almost immediately, but try to chase the bad thoughts away.

"So when are we doing this?" I query.

"Now?"