37

"if I'm lying here, will you take me home?

could you take care of a broken soul?"

***

"Please excuse my son," the dark figure spoke out in a deep and powerful voice that reverberated through my bones. As he stepped forward under the flickering light of the dirty bulb, I noticed how stern and cold his face was.

I narrowed my eyes at him as he instantly reminded me of someone I knew, someone younger than him. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

The newcomer shuffled to the younger man whom he had called his son. With his right leg appearing to be injured, his gait was unsteady and unbalanced. One of his hands held on to a walking stick, placing it in front of his body with each step he took.

"Yunseok," the man grumbled quietly, his soulless dark eyes glared at his son. "I told you to interrogate them, not kill them." I shuddered at the menacing tone of his voice. It seemed like he was angry, yet he sounded calm.

"They weren't cooperating," Yunseok uttered through gritted teeth, glancing down at me. His grey eyes were so much different than his father's, whose hues were a bottomless pool of ink. Where have I seen those eyes?

The older man clicked his tongue and pressed his lips into a thin line, disapproval plastered all over his face.

"Had it been your brother, he'd have obeyed my orders as per usual," he stated, a heavy sigh escaping his lips. Yunseok winced at his words, an infuriated expression broke through on his face. His colorless silver eyes rounded in disbelief.

"Yeah, but where is your golden boy now?" He lashed out almost in an animalistic manner, baring his teeth. From where I stood on the ground, I could see him balling his hands into fists. "That's right, in jail. Your precious Jaebum fucked up. He's not getting out of this mess."

I barely suppressed the urge to scream, my eyes frantically jumping to and fro the two men. Wait a second, was this psychopath Jaebum's brother?

And was this Jaebum's father, the person that Jungkook had told me was his own father's right hand? What was his name again... Lim Jiyoung?

My head hurt at connecting all the dots.

"You should speak about your big brother with respect and nothing else," the older man frowned slightly but kept his composure. He then gestured to me and Taehyung, "Tell me, did you get anything out of these two here?"

Yunseok's face curled into a disgusted grimace as though I and Taehyung were a couple of cockroaches in his meal. "No," a low grunt of dissatisfaction erupted from his mouth as he averted his gaze back to his father.

A gruesome feeling started burning in my upper abdomen when the older man's eyes shot down like venomous darts, pinning his lethal stare at Taehyung's form.