42

"Your fingers entwined with mine and suddenly, life made sense."

***

***

My heart felt as though it was going to explode as I ran up the stairs, nearly bumping into a couple of nurses on the way up. "I'm sorry!" I exclaimed, not paying any attention to their reaction. The sterile smell of antiseptics hit me in the face as the double-doors opened soundlessly to let me in.

I broke out into a light sprint the second I noticed Jin and Yoongi at the end of the hospital hallway, having a quiet conversation in front of Taehyung's hospital room.

"Is he-" I breathed out as soon as I approached them, the air stuck in my throat from the agitation. Yoongi offered me a silent nod of confirmation.

"He asked about you," he said, causing my heart to skip a beat.

"You should go in. The doctors said he's still weak but he's in good spirits," Jin informed me. "I just dropped by to bring some clean clothes for Taehyung and now I'm off to work again." He sighed, his arms falling to his sides.

Hesitantly, I reached for the door, resting my hand on the chrome doorknob. I stepped in, careful not to stumble on my own feet. Suddenly I wasn't able to pull up my eyes from the polished floor.

I took a deep breath in to calm down my rampant emotions. Picking up my gaze, I couldn't suppress a gasp.

Taehyung was standing by the bed, pulling a gray baggy t-shirt over his head, his ruffled hazel hair pointing in every direction. I caught a glimpse of his collarbones as the oval shaped neckline found its place on his chest.

"Taehyung," I rasped, feeling dizzy from the joy and excitement of seeing him standing up again.

He glanced up to look at me, his eyebrows slightly furrowed.

"Do I know you?" the tone of his voice was casually indifferent and I froze.

My face fell, my hand instinctively shot to my mouth. I felt as though my soul had left my body.

Taehyung's lips curled up in a little smirk, his face suddenly softened. "I'm kidding," he grinned.

"Goddamit, Taehyung!" I exclaimed loudly, my whole body going weak as a sharp exhale left my mouth. I shuffled toward him but before I could say or do anything he grabbed me by the hand and pulled me in, chest in chest with him.

"You almost gave me a heart attack," I grumbled, knitting my eyebrows. The boy had just woken up, but I wasn't going to let him off the hook so easily. Even so, his embrace felt so comfortable after all this time that I let my hands run up to the back of his neck and tug on a fistful of his soft hair.

"Didn't I tell you I'd be gentle with your heart?" a soft groan escaped his mouth, his breath sending ticklish sensations to the bare skin of my neck. I suddenly found myself staring at his soft pink lips slightly parting as he exhaled.