49

***

***

"Taehyung's been really weird lately," my voice was hushed, barely audible over the music in Celine's car.

"Really?" she arched a brow, eyes focused on the road. "Weird, how?"

"Well, he's very... secretive," I chewed on my lower lip. "And just really silent in general. Like he's somewhere lost in his head."

"Is he going through something?" she asked in a concerned voice.

"Not that I know of," I shrugged awkwardly. "Yesterday was the third time he's asked me that we take a rain check on that dinner we've been planning for a week now. He often doesn't answer my calls or straight up hangs up on me and then calls me later. And today, he said he couldn't come pick me up from my appointment with Dr. Lee." I said darkly. "Thank you for coming to get me, by the way."

"That is weird," Celine agreed. "Do you want me to ask Jimin if he knows something about it?"

"Oh, no," I waved my hand in a dismissive manner. "I don't want to be that type of girlfriend. I just hope he tells me what's going on soon."

Celine sighed as the car came to a halt in front of a traffic light, shifting in her seat, worried eyes snapping towards me. "Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not a big deal. He has never stroke me as a shady person, so I doubt he's... you know," she pressed her lips into a thin line, her voice trailing off.

"Mmm," I simply hummed, gazing at the road straight ahead as the car started moving again.

"So, do you want me to leave you at his place?" Celine asked.

"Yeah, he told me to meet him there," I knit my eyebrows together, an anxious knot forming in my upper abdomen. The rest of the ride went by in silence until Celine finally pulled over in front of Taehyung's house.

"Hey, remember," she put her palm on my thigh lightly. "If you need to leave, call me. I'll come right over."

I gave a nod before hopping out of the car and turning around to offer her a wave before she started the car again.

Not wasting any more time, I spun on my heel and started walking towards Taehyung's home. Much to my surprise, not a single lamp was on in the entire house. That kind of made me feel uneasy, but I tried to chase the anxious thoughts away.

Somehow reluctantly, I pressed the doorbell. I strained my ears as much as I could to hear better, but there were absolutely no sounds coming from inside the house. Was he home?

I rang again. No one answered. I landed a cowardly knock on the massive ebony door.

"Tae?" I called out while knocking. "Are you home?"

Still receiving no answer from inside, I decided to try the door knob. I turned it and surprisingly enough, the door opened with a metallic click.

"Did he go somewhere and forget to lock his door?" I mumbled to myself, stepping inside the pitch-black corridor. I squeezed my eyes to adjust them to the darkness and nearly tripped when I saw a glimmering candle light resting on the shelf to my right.