29

"he got blood cold as ice and a heart made of stone,

but he keeps me alive, he's the beast in my bones..."

***

***

My eyes widen in disbelief and all the muscles in my body tighten, as though someone's dropped a bomb on me.

My mind starts raging and I feel as if the ground under my feet has vanished.

"How did you know?" I mutter under my breath.

Jungkook lets go of my wrist and drops it, letting it fall to my side.

"I'm not stupid, Y/N. I already knew something was up the other night when I showed myself to you. You were different. Hoseok had already told me he had spotted you and Taehyung together." Jungkook purses his lips and his face darkens. "At first I didn't think of it as a big deal. But then it dawned on me: when have you and Taehyung ever exchanged more than two words?"

He tilts his head to the side and pauses.

"Then tonight, when I spotted the painting in your bag." His eyes dart somewhere behind my back but my body is so stiff that I can't even move. "I've seen that painting, Y/N. In Taehyung's bedroom."

My stomach twirls and my mouth suddenly feels dry. I have the unbearable feeling of someone clasping on my throat, preventing me from breathing.

"Did you think I wouldn't know?" Jungkook's lips curl in a bitter grimace, the disappointment in his eyes glistening in the dim light. "I know your every thought."

"I didn't have the intention of hiding anything." I shake my head slightly. I can't deny anything now, nor can I lie to his face.

He sits back lazily on the old and flimsy chair that screeches under his weight, crossing his legs and putting his ankle on top of his knee.

"So, what now? Are you two a thing?" He says mockingly, averting his gaze to the window, his long fingers tapping on the wooden surface of the table. "I mean, you have to be something, since you're pushing me away when I can clearly see how much you want to rip my clothes apart."

I frown my eyebrows, taken aback by his audacity. Jungkook's playful arrogance was a trait of his that I liked about him. Back in the day, when our relationship was just starting out, it even turned me on. In the present circumstances, it just made my stomach tie in a knot.

By getting to know him even more, I discovered his cocky attitude was a defense mechanism for when he was feeling insecure.

"I never planned for it to happen. Neither did Taehyung." The words slip out of my mouth when I realize Jungkook's staring at me quizzically. "When you left, I was determined to find out what had happened to you. I asked Taehyung for help. It was me who reached out to him." I blurt out breathlessly.